84Datsun720

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I like your advice from yesterday. Swap out the cylinder head and build an LZ instead. From now on, every time I see a thread about improving the Z motor, I'm going to quote you on that.

I had a very good running Z24 from an '89 D21 converted to carburetor for use in a '84 720. Very quiet ran awesome. When I sold my 620 that it was in, I kept it and for something to do, and as I had a spare U67 I put it on. What I found was the Z24 timing cover will actually seal against the L head but no bolts fit it. As it only seals in oil spray and fumes a but of RTV on the gasket will do. This avoids having to make a 3/4" filler between an L20B timing cover and the now higher placed L head. The timing chain needs 4 extra links 3/4" plus 3/4" added. If you can find an L series 89mm gasket fine if not a Z24 with a few extra holes and the timing chain area from an L gasket grafted onto the front. The head I scribed the larger cylinder outline on and unshrouded around the valves where they were closest. I rounded the corner like the trumpet end of a velocity stack. There's tons of added compression, so a small loss for greater flow is a fine trade off.

fLTUVOI.jpg 

• Like 1
On 8/14/2024 at 7:38 PM, datzenmike said:

What I found was the Z24 timing cover will actually seal against the L head but no bolts fit it. As it only seals in oil spray and fumes a but of RTV on the gasket will do.

I ran a cometic mls KA24DE head gasket for my Z24 turbo build, of course the timing portion of it didn't fit so I cut that off and just ran the timing section with rtv instead. Never had a problem with it or any leaks.

RN9P30h.jpg

This lower left corner near the fuel pump was the thinnest so I added JB weld and filed it down.

huoHJWz.jpg

This hole just behind the pump doesn't exist on the Z24 block so I added JB because the outer edge was so close to it and drilled out the block below...

L gasket on Z24 block.

FsE9UBh.jpg

Fwe03Ol.jpg

One last thing was joining these two holes on the head rather than drilling a hole in the Z24 block.

The Z24 head is cross flow so water flow up from the block is fairly even but the L series has more on the manifold side to draw exhaust heat away from the intakes in between. It's just a matter of comparing the two gaskets and punching hols to match.

7 hours ago, Spiff said:

I ran a cometic mls KA24DE head gasket for my Z24 turbo build, of course the timing portion of it didn't fit so I cut that off and just ran the timing section with rtv instead. Never had a problem with it or any leaks.

For a more permanent fix, it's real easy to TIG weld those sections and mill them flat.