KA24DE in a 521

Elkie

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pull the stock bracket off and see what that does for clearence, I think they make smaller compressors if you really want a/c. You can also do rack & pinion if you can,they have some manual ones that are nice. Cool build can't wait to see how it turns out. I like how a lot more people are doing more swaps. GL!

The goal for the truck was to be a dd when done and sell my 240sx, so I kinda wanted some creature comforts. Summers get kinda hot here, 120 heat index isn't abnormal for weeks at a time. I was looking at power steering as well so I can't really move it up as thats where the pump is. The stock bracket has the pulley attached for tightening the fan belt, I guess I could design a whole new bracket. Thanks for the ideas though. Just kinda one of those shit fuck moments when you realize its not gonna work out so easy.

I ran into this same issue on my KA swap. The compressor, while fairly small just does not have the room to fit between the block and steering box and there really is no other place for it. I was looking at the wreckers for a solution, and think that maybe a compressor off a Mazda Protoge (or other small car)may be able to work, with a custom bracket. It is a very small compressor.

Mark

The goal for the truck was to be a dd when done and sell my 240sx, so I kinda wanted some creature comforts. Summers get kinda hot here, 120 heat index isn't abnormal for weeks at a time. I was looking at power steering as well so I can't really move it up as thats where the pump is. The stock bracket has the pulley attached for tightening the fan belt, I guess I could design a whole new bracket. Thanks for the ideas though. Just kinda one of those shit fuck moments when you realize its not gonna work out so easy.

i say, find a very smal compressor, like a geo or a honda crx one. then go to junk yard and get an electric rack and pinion system

I decided after the test fit to get a d21 tranny, it should be a bit shorter. I picked the steering components off a 720 along with a tilt column was gonna try and make them fit. Was playing with the idea of an s13 rack and pinion, just can't find a good place to mount it. I will definitely have to find some alternative for the ac compressor though.