WTB: Trans parts

I need the mainshaft drive gear/input shaft (it might be possibly 4th gear) from an FS5W71 B and POSSIBLY a 5th gear set from an FS5W71 C.

Oics:

Picture066-1-1.jpg

DSCN0097-1.jpg

At the very least, I just need this one, and you can see why:

Picture073-3.jpg

Please let me know what you've got, thanks!

Edited by oldschool90
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Picture073-3.jpg

This is the mainshaft drive gear and is mounted on the end of the input shaft. You can't just use any drive gear. It is mated to the countershaft gear just below it. ( just like a differential ring and pinion gears are a set) If looking for this you would need the same number of teeth on it. First gear is about 8 or 9 inches to the rear of this one just forward of the steel adapter plate.

mainshaftdrivegear002Large.jpg

I need the 1st gear uhh gear laugh.gif from an FS5W71 B and 5th gear set from an FS5W71 C.

What are the C type 5th gears going onto? If a C type tranny ok but if onto a B type the gears may be physically wider and not fit. I know that 1 through 4 are wider than the B type.

This is the mainshaft drive gear and is mounted on the end of the input shaft. You can't just use any drive gear. It is mated to the countershaft gear just below it. ( just like a differential ring and pinion gears are a set) If looking for this you would need the same number of teeth on it. First gear is about 8 or 9 inches to the rear of this one just forward of the steel adapter plate.

So THATS why the mechanic kept saying I needed a new input shaft. He never told me why.

What are the C type 5th gears going onto? If a C type tranny ok but if onto a B type the gears may be physically wider and not fit. I know that 1 through 4 are wider than the B type.

Damn. Those were to see if they fit onto my trans for the "better" 5th gear drive.

Thanks for the info Mike!

EDIT: I just went out and looked at that chipped gear and it looks like it's actually 4th gear. And it has 22 teeth.

Edited by oldschool90

FS5W71B

From left to right (top) below: Input main drive gear, (all it does is turn the counter drive gear below it, that's it) 3rd, 2nd, 1st. (they sit on the main shaft but are free to turn and not connected to it)

From left to right (bottom) below: counter drive gear (driven by the main drive gear above it and turns the ...) counter gears 3rd, 2nd and 1st which are all one piece.

So where's 4th gear? Well there is no 4th 'gear'. The front main drive gear is free to turn independently of the main shaft with 3rd, 2nd and 1st gears on it to the right. When you select 4th gear all you are doing is joining the mainshaft to the input shaft and power is transmitted straight through and out the back one to one.

bgears_left.jpg

This is a four speed but close enough to explain how power is transmitted. 3rd, 2nd, 1st are free to turn on the mainshaft but can be locked to it if selected. All gears turn all the time, they never stop. Only one gear at a time transmits power while thew rest just spin free. None of the gears in the pictures are 'changed or shifted'. What is shifted are splines between the mainshaft and the mainshaft gear selected to lock it in place.

ATT000455.gif

FS5W71C

Note that all gears are wider and thus stronger. The 71 on the FS5W71 B and C is the distance in mm between the main shaft and counter shafts. This puts a limit on how large a diameter gear or bearing you can use. So if you can't make them larger to make them stronger you make then wider, and this is exactly what Nissan did.

FS5W71Cgears004.jpg

I don't have a picture of the 'C' 5th gears so I don't know for sure if they are wider but probably are.

This is why the FS5W63a dogleg is considered 'less strong' (I hate to say weak) it's a fine 5 speed but with a 63mm distance between the main and counter you can see that gears and bearings will have to be smaller too.

Note that all gears are wider and thus stronger.

If your talking about wider as in:

Picture073-4.jpg

So then TECHNICALLY if I REALLY wanted to, I could have them machined shorter so they'll fit? Unless there's something else that would hold them up from working?

is this an a series trans and was it 22 teeth you need if it is i might have one

As in it came off an A series engine? As far as I have learned (and someone (cough mike cough) please correct me if I'm wrong), If it's an fs5w71B, it wont matter what it came off of. The ony thing that would be different would be the front half of the trans case to fit the A series engine. Internally they should be the same.

Definitely interested though.

Sorry the only motors to use the FS5W71B were the L, Z, SD, CA series on the 620 and 720 trucks, 280z and zx, Maxima and 200sx. The A series engines used at least 3 different transmissions but not the B type.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.