Newby is back with a lot of questions

Emptytank

Hello all,

I'm back with a lot of questions about what drivetrain to use on my roadster project.

A little refresher... I recently acquired a '68 1600 roadster .. here..

100_0421.jpg

I plan on doing the SR20 conversion with a 5 speed, but being new to all things Datsun, I am having a hard time determining which engine package would be the best option for me.

I see there are differences in HP and torque and a choice of "color tops" so please educate me on the differences, and if it really matters.

SR20 S14 DET Black top 220 hp (94-98)

SR20 S13 DET Red top 205 hp (90-93)

These both seem like good combos for this, I was just wondering if either has something to look out for, good or bad (other than $400 difference ) and

if after unrestricting the exhaust is there much HP difference?

Does anybody have a preference of importers to purchase from? Good experiences or bad?

I'm looking at Tiger right now, mostly because that is the only one I know about, but i'm open to suggestions.

here is some progress being made

100_0444.jpg

100_0445.jpg

bent hood - gone Bent grill - out and being evaluated for repair or replacement

most engine components disconnected and getting ready to remove them before the body comes off.

This is going to be a fun project, and i'm probably going to ask some pretty basic questions, so please bear with me.

Thanks

Mick

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the tilt of the fuel bowls, you have RL411 SUs, not Roadster SU carbs. The floats will stick in that orientation, I think you can realign them but a SU guru will have to chip in on that possibility. I also don't see the bakelite insulators between the SU bodies and the intake manifold. That aside, you have a very good starting vehicle, good luck with it, we need more Fair Ladies on the road. If the engine is original, check the numbers on the ID plate, you will have a late metric 5 main bearing engine, a good choice!

If your not going to open the motor up id go for the newest one you can afford. I believe s13 red tops are a better choice for modifying due to the lack of VTC (more cam choices) and a high port head. Of course the s13 comes with a t25 instead of the s14's t28 (ball bearing if its a japenese motor). Stock for stock i think s14 sr's would be the way to go. Quicker spooling, and vtc helps for a more linear power band.

s13 sr, high port head, no vtc, smaller t25 turbo journal bearing

S14 sr, low port head, vtc, bigger t28 turbo ball bearing

Seriously either way you go its going to be 200+ hp motor in a go kart. Its going to be a rocket.