Help with fuel pump noise

MylilDime

th_VIDEO0014.jpg

Hi Guys, i'm having a little problem starting the car. Went out tonight to start her up but it seems like she's out of gas, which she is not since i just pumped a full tank last week and haven't driven her since. I did notice this sound coming from the fuel pump (please click on the video above). I have a Bosch EFI fuel pump on a L28et.

When the key is turned to the ON position, the pump seems to prime, but afterward it sounds like something is grinding. Does this mean that the pump is bad, clogged, needs a filter changed? I checked the relay and it's fine, will probably pull the fuel line out sometime this week to see if fuel travels through. But in the meantime, if you have an guesses or suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Change filters .... Fuel pressure test ..... Fuel pressure regulator check.....

And one more thing~ put a DVOM on the pump circuit and note voltages during all phases of operation.

Okay~ listened to your soundtrack after typing the above, and it sounds to me like as the system is coming up to operating pressures the pump's "rattling around" a bit. So I'll ask you the question we all ask ourselves too often, and not often enough~ do you have more time, or money? A bad regulator or filter will not cause the pump to *grind* so. If the regulator were bad, the pump would still have to be bad to make such a noise~ otherwise it'd sound like it's just "hunkerin down" I'm not a rich man, but if it were mine by sound alone I'd throw a pump at it and see what happens. The mechanic side of me would test everything involved~ just cuz I'm that anal (pardon the expression). My custom FI setups have pressure taps up/down stream of every component in the system, just for such testing/diagnosis....

Peace~

Scott

Does the noise at 0:05 stop or did you turn it off? Since your going to have to jumper wire fuel pump to pressure test..maybe tape the noise while it runs longer..

Your info doesn`t show what kinda car this is ....if it is stock 280zx, ( assuming because it`s L28 turbo ) the fuel pump barely makes enough noise to even notice.

The noise stops, but every time I hit the gas pedal, that's the same sound that would come up. When i listen closely I actually hear the pump trying to suck gas but fails, as if you were sucking through a straw in an empty cup of ice.

I guess the first step is to check for fuel travel and pressure, I will report back once that is done.