1200 suspension help.

goes2fast

I tried looking through the topics for info, but didn't have much luck. What are my options for upgrading the front suspension on my 1200? I have looked for front strut inserts, and haven't had much luck, so I'm thinking a strut swap may be the answer, but don't know what works the best? Any help will be appreciated. :)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Why do you want to change the struts???

If you want better handling, the stock struts are just fine. Do this:

* Lower the car

* fit some 50 or 55 series tires

* fit a B210 sway bar

* Give it 0.5 degrees negative camber (stock is +2 positive)

* Give it 2.5 degrees castor (stock is 1/2 degree)

If you are trying to make it ride smoother, the stock struts are best too. If it is banging on bumps, put some new shock cartridges in them.

Why do you want to change the struts???

If you want better handling, the stock struts are just fine. Do this:

* Lower the car

* fit some 50 or 55 series tires

* fit a B210 sway bar

* Give it 0.5 degrees negative camber (stock is +2 positive)

* Give it 2.5 degrees castor (stock is 1/2 degree)

If you are trying to make it ride smoother, the stock struts are best too. If it is banging on bumps, put some new shock cartridges in them.

No one makes cartridges for the 1200, and you can't get rebuild kits anymore. :(

Before swapping the swaybar check to see that u don't already have the 20mm bar already. I found a b210, pulled the sway bar, when I mic'ed it was 17mm. I mic'ed the ones on both my 1200's And they measured 20mm already.

Thanks for the info, right now I'm trying to get the correct rear bar from Addco, the one they sent was 10 inches too wide. The box had the right part number, but some one put the wrong bar in it. :(

I tried looking through the topics for info, but didn't have much luck. What are my options for upgrading the front suspension on my 1200? I have looked for front strut inserts, and haven't had much luck, so I'm thinking a strut swap may be the answer, but don't know what works the best? Any help will be appreciated. :)

KYB GR2 inserts for the first generation Volkswagen Rabbit will fit with some work. You will need a spacer to go under the cartridge as the Rabbit insert is shorter. The nut on the top of the strut will need to be modified to fit the Rabbit insert.

I took the Datsun strut nuts and one of the nuts that came with the Volkswagen cartridges to a local machine shop and had them machine the insides of the Datsun nut to have the same dimensions as the Volkswagen part.

Later we found out that the 1200 had had KYB inserts installed sometime in the past and that the KYB strut nuts would work. I used my modified Datsun nuts and gave the other pair to a friend when we put Volkswagen strut carts in his 1200.

The spacer can be made a couple of different ways. My friend did what the late Dan Hall told him and used exhaust tubing. I used some 1.5" diameter .375 wall aluminum tubing.

The GR2 inserts for the Rabbit are a nicely valved shock for the 1200. Nice ride. Firm but supple.

I have this setup on my yellow street 1200. 1200guy has the setup on his orange street 1200.

I think the Volkswagen inserts were less than $50.00 ea. at the local parts warehouse that specializes in Volkswagen.

KYB GR2 inserts for the first generation Volkswagen Rabbit will fit with some work. You will need a spacer to go under the cartridge as the Rabbit insert is shorter. The nut on the top of the strut will need to be modified to fit the Rabbit insert.

I took the Datsun strut nuts and one of the nuts that came with the Volkswagen cartridges to a local machine shop and had them machine the insides of the Datsun nut to have the same dimensions as the Volkswagen part.

Later we found out that the 1200 had had KYB inserts installed sometime in the past and that the KYB strut nuts would work. I used my modified Datsun nuts and gave the other pair to a friend when we put Volkswagen strut carts in his 1200.

The spacer can be made a couple of different ways. My friend did what the late Dan Hall told him and used exhaust tubing. I used some 1.5" diameter .375 wall aluminum tubing.

The GR2 inserts for the Rabbit are a nicely valved shock for the 1200. Nice ride. Firm but supple.

I have this setup on my yellow street 1200. 1200guy has the setup on his orange street 1200.

I think the Volkswagen inserts were less than $50.00 ea. at the local parts warehouse that specializes in Volkswagen.

Thanks for the info, but I already bought a pair of 280ZX struts for it, just need B310 lower control arms and steering arms and I'm set for the conversion.

You can buy new KONI front shocks. And in 2009 I bought new front shocks from Nissan.

Do you need new shocks?

The problem with changing struts is that you increase the unsprung weight, which is not good for handling.

KONI Front Strut Insert for Nissan (Datsun) 1200 (B110) Coupe & Sedan 1970-1973. - $200/pair