Weber DCOE 40s or 44s? or?

hobbes_the_cat

Looking for opinions and past experience. I just picked up a LZ21 stroker from an old stock car that I plan on putting in my weekend fun car. it has a huge cam (PO said around a 500/300, still working on finding out for sure), ported intakes, and I want to use twin side drafts. Weber 45s are what I want, but will dcoe 40s do the job or would that small of carbs just be a waste of time? should I be looking for something even bigger? the motor ran a holly 500 2 barrel on the original intake at Monroe speedway because of the rules. I asking cause I found some dcoe 40s for a good price but I don't want to under carb it.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

personally I would stay away from webers get some 44mm Mikunis and just have someone that knows what they are doing tune them, with that big of a cam you may have some low speed issues like when taking off from a stop sign or light... 40 Mikunis might work if you had big chokes and it was jetted correctly. webers are very touchy depending on weather too Mikunis are less prone to those issues

Clayton

Thanks for the tips. are mikunis hard to find or am I just not looking in the right places? I seam to find 15 webers for every mikuni.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34561-mikuni-weber-works-parts/page__p__527705__hl__%2B%2Aweds+%2Bmikuni%2A__fromsearch__1#entry527705

These were a set of back up carbs for my FJ20 and I also ran this intake on Lisas 510 before trading him

Those are nice! I'm a little too cheap for those tho. I am looking at a set of webers with mani and linkage for $300, i am willing to pay more for better quality and good condition but over a grand is a bit much for my budget. I'm not knocking the price, i'm just cheap. :) And i did a little searching and I guess mukunis are out of production, that's why I see more webers for sale.

I have had 2 set sets 40s and I like them better for a street car.

EZer start ups and driveablility.

500/300cam I think is too big unless you maybe lower the gear ratio to make it more drivable. Thats a long pulling cam(higher RPM) Be honest your distributor will be at the edge of cutting out by the time the Cam really kicks in.

MY guess I would choose 40s over 44s but I have 44s in my yellow car and its drivable but I do have a low gear ratio . Or finding aircleaners might aid in making a little more vaccum. Most 44s I seen run not aircleaners as the intake manifold are really long Nismo type. The mIkuni short manifolds are the one to get but even then the air horns are so long

Thanks for all the advice! I know the cam is big for a street driven car, but it came with a mallory dizzy and the PO said it would run some serious RPM's without any problems. I was thinking a lower rear gear might be in order, but I will try the stock ratio first and see how it works. The 40s are a little easier to find so i think I will get those if i can find a good deal, but if 44s or 45s pop up I will give em a try.

• 2 weeks later...