620 lsd stock?

jessebehselich

im new to this forum. sorry if this was already discussed. i just picked up a 75 620. had an l20b. blew it up on the way back from a datsun meet. decided to put in an sbc. got it in and working. when i burn the tires both spin. so i jacked it up and they both turn the same. its definitely LSD. everything i have heard says LSD didnt come stock untill the 80's. and they were much wider. my axle appears to be stock. can anyone explain this? how strong is this axle? is it any different than the open diffs? how much is it worth? thinkin about puttin an 8.8 posi w/disc brakes in.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

still differentiates. its not welded. im thinkin it must be aftermarket. housing looks similar t ford 9 inch. has removable 3rd member. i just wanna know if its strong enough to take v8 power. if not, then i may wanna sell it to fund narrowing a stronger axle. i dont wanna break something that someone else could still use with a smaller engine

We just have no idea. You have not provided enough information. And to sell it you might want to get some information, So I recommend taking pictures of it. Take pictures of the brakes attached to it. And to be possibly even more helpful take a picture of the actual differential gears.

The H-190 does roughly look like a Ford unit. If both wheels are off the ground and there is no resistance it's very possible they will both turn together. Raise one rear tire and turn by hand. If it turns by hand it's open.

Horse power isn't the limiting factor with a rear enc, torque is. The H-190 is good for just under 200 ft lbs.