5-speed trans (for L series) - SOLD 10/19/2011

From a garage cleanout after the owner passed away.

Not sure of the history but he apparantly had a 1975 620 at some point and this was the motor and trans from it /or destined for it.

The 5-speed goes thru the gears good and solid, but again I don't know the history of it.

Looking to get [edit: price drop] $250 $200 for the motor (stand included) and $100 $75 $50 - (final price drop not letting it go for any less ) for the 5-speed. Money is going to the family so just trying to get what I can for them.

Local pickup only - North San Diego County

Engine is sold - transmission still here .

SOLD.JPG

5-speed.JPG

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This motor is likely from a '74 truck that has been swapped in. The intake and exhaust are consistent with those from a '75 L20B and also has a fuel return line. That is a 5 speed, unavailable in '75 but could be from a '77 on.

engine%202.JPG

Price drop since I can't tell anyone the history of these things.

Also will say the motor only had the valve cover off when found, everything else seems to be there and fastened down except dizzy & carb (no loose bolts and stuff to say he was tearing this motor down).

As DatzenMike said, the intake and exhaust look like transplants, plus the timing chain and gear look replaced. I would bet the head has been off and on for a reason (it is really clean and no signs of leakage around the gasket). I would figure this motor was going back in something. I'll try to get this compression tested for more info later.

$200 for motor w/stand included

$75 for the 5-speed

Back in the day, I put a JDM L-18 engine in my 521. The engine I put in was originally a fuel injection, but like an idiot, I sold the aluminum FI intake manifold for scrap.

My L-18 engine had a six bolt crankshaft. The six bolt crankshaft is fully counterweighted.

Does this engine have a five, or six bolt crank?

I have noticed with L-engines that have a lot of time on them, the valves sink into the head. A quick way to tell if this has happened is to look at how much valve adjustment is left. On the valves I can see the valve adjuster of, it looks like there is still plenty adjustment.

This is no guarantee that a good valve job was recently done, but if you have no adjustment, it is a pretty good indication you will need to do a valve job soon.

Too bad this engine is in another state from me, and we are pretty much on the opposite far ends of both our states.

This might be a good engine for you Southern California people.

• 2 weeks later...

Will that transmission fit in a 620 longbed? Also, are you willing to ship?

Thanks

MantisX

Dude I appreciate the interest, but shipping would put the cost of this thing way above practicality, vs you just waiting for one to come up locally in your area.

Now if I can just get these cheap bastards around here to open their wallets! :D

j/k of course my fellow Ratsuns, nothing but love!

Cause you know that's how copper wire was invented - two Datsun guys fighting over a penny! (sorry for the oft repeated joke, but it's funny cause it's true!)

The earliest 620 was actually made in the late '72 model year around April or March and had an L16 engine and an F4W63 4 speed very similar to the earlier 521 but without the output flange bolted on. In fact this transmission would have been almost identical to the 510 wagon including the gear ratios. As every Datsun owner will know or at least has heard, when a 510 owner wants to put a 5 speed from a truck or zx in their dimes, it's always too long and the drive shaft needs to be shortened. This is because the 510, 521 and the early 620 4 speed is short and about 26" long.

There is another 5 speed that is also the same length as the short 4 speed and will fit without cutting the driveshaft. This is the FS5W63A from the '77-'79 200sx and also a rare option on the '78-'79 A10. It's notable for haveing a unique 'dogleg' shift pattern with reverse above first and being 26" long, the same as the 4 speed. This is as close to a drop in swap as they come in a 510, with perhaps a small mod to the rear transmission mount. Even the speedometer drive is on the same side. This should be true if installing in the early 620 also.

As I understand it the L16 F4W63 4 speed combination was continued until September of '73 but starting October, the 'new' L18 was used with the 'new' F4W71B 4 speed transmission. The F4W71B and the later FS5W71B 5 speeds are both 31.5" long and interchangeable.

So in keeping with my belief that you should never use 50 words when you can use 500, to answer your post... if you had an early, pre October '73 build date 620 with a 5 speed, then the drive shaft was shortened and a later 5 speed was installed or you have a dogleg shift pattern 5 speed from a 200sx.

I have also found that there are exceptions to every rule and that previous owners, interchangeability of parts and almost 40 years of trying anything to keep them on the road has resulted in some vehicles with unlikely combinations of parts. It's possible that your '73 is actually a '74 to '77 frame with a 5 speed option but with the earlier cab and bed swapped on. Anything is possible, specially to make it pre emissions in California.

Once again, I am humbled by your knowledge sensei! Thank you for pounding out that much information (is your keyboard still in one piece? lol)

So if I read that correctly, the summary here is the 5-speed will work in the earlier trucks if you get the driveshaft shortened, or find a driveshaft from one of the later trucks that had the 5-speed option, eh?

Never done this but only the front half of the two piece driveshaft is really needed. This is the one that is shorter for the longer 4 or 5 speed in trucks after Sept '73. This should work but no promises.

The back half of the two piece driveshaft on the long wheelbase KC and long beds are longer and won't fit anyway.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.