Bruce's 74 620 shortbox

Mulisha620

Hey thank you-

I learn something new on this site EVERY TIME I get on it-

So there is no way to determine the gear ratio of a rear axle by looking at the outside of it? Other than a tag somewhere I heard on the wheel well or something that had chassis info on it? (And I heard only certain years have this tag?)

Way to go on the rear suspension. I'm not much for the bagged set up either. for an ok ride in the front, re clock your torsions, cut down the bumps, and get some short Toxic shocks. Or if you're ready for some work, find a doner 78/79 cut off upper control arm/ shock mounts, swap them out to your 74 and get the benifit of ball joints, disk brakes and drop spindels.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to go on the rear suspension. I'm not much for the bagged set up either. for an ok ride in the front, re clock your torsions, cut down the bumps, and get some short Toxic shocks. Or if you're ready for some work, find a doner 78/79 cut off upper control arm/ shock mounts, swap them out to your 74 and get the benifit of ball joints, disk brakes and drop spindels.

Hey thank you- I'm not much of a bag person either- I do like em, but I don't wanna butcher my 620, maybe on some other truck.

I am planning on front discs in the future- When my truck is back up on it's feet I was planning on starting the process of collection all the parts for doing a front-disc setup. I'll definitely be looking into it-

What are toxic shocks? I've never heard of them, and does anyone know what size/part number I would need for my front shocks? I assume my rear shocks are from something else or a different length than stock because of the way the upper mount is welded into the step notch, so the upper shock mount is sitting 4-5 inches higher.

One of my best friends that I used to share a shop with had some sections of steel bar kickin it in the corner from when the shop was still "SicTuc" (A mini-truck shop my other buddy owned and ran for a while, mostly custom work and bagging trucks.)

The bag guys used to weld these to the rear of the frame so they could drag them off. And throw sparks everywhere going down the freeway at 70+mph.......:rofl::rofl: HELLA COOL lol

I grabbed this piece because when I looked at it, it screamed CARRIER BEARING SPACER PLATE lol so now i just gotta figure out how to cut and drill it...

DSC08197.jpg

DSC08198.jpg

DSC08204.jpg

I figured if one thickness of it isn't enough to get the driveline legit again i could stack two sections on top of each other?

• 3 months later...

Wow it's been a minute since I've touched the Datsun.... I've been all over the place. But before shit got weird I finished that spacer....

DSC08598.jpg

It looks wayyy better than it did. I think it'll be fine? It's not gonna be super slammed anyway..

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...