Accelerator Pump preventing start up?

ZombieSheep

Ok so I'm a total noob when it comes to working with anything under the hood. I have a 620 pick up with the Weber 32/34 carburetor on it. Everything was running fine and then one day it just refused to start. We noticed the valves were stuck in the open position so the assumption was a missing spring or something. Well after some poking around, it appears that the accelerator pump was stuck. We moved it out of the stuck position then tried to start it. The truck tried to start and the pump did have some movement when I pumped the pedal, but ultimately it died without even idling on its own.

I've poked around some of the issues other people have had with the Weber and this is about the only thing I can come up with as a potential problem. Unfortunately I'm not sure how much the pump is supposed to move (is it not responsive enough?) or if there is some other part of the carburetor that could be having issues? If I can get it to at least start then maybe I can get it to the shop (nearest is an hour away) where someone who knows what they're doing can look at it. But until then...

Any thoughts?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The accelerator pump has one function: when the throttle is moved, it squirts gas into the bore.

appears that the accelerator pump was stuck

What did you see?

The accelerator pump can be broke and the carburetor should still idle. So those are two separate issues.

I'm not sure how much the pump is supposed to move

It does not move much. But every time you move the throttle, it should move a little. If it doesn't move, it won't pump and you won't be able to start a cold engine. You can use starting fluid to start it, but then when you to drive it it won't accelerate.

Spray some "carburetor cleaner" on all the linkage (choke, throttle, pump, etc) to remove dirt & grime -- and to lubricate the linkage.

Need to get the choke working. The choke is needed to richen up the mixture when the motor and air is cold. Even has a fast idle feature to speed the warm up. The accelerator pump is for transitioning from idle to running speed. When the throttle is opened the manifold vacuum drops and it hard to get the air flowing through the venturi to draw in more fuel and the mixture leans out. To counteract this problem the accelerator pump dumps raw fuel in.

The accelerator pump can be used to aid starting by pumping several times before starting to richen up the mixture... and it will work but is not the best thing as this is what the choke is for.