Well, this was supposed to be a 'how-to'

oldschool90

Hey all, I was planning a 'How-to' on fixing a fifth gear popping issue, but I can't figure out what's wrong with my transmission. I got the case off, and noticed both shaft nuts were a little loose, but I'm not sure they were THAT loose. And I don't see anything else obviously wrong. Just some wear. Maybe that in combination with the nuts being loose is causing it? I don't see anything wrong with the bearings, no excessive play, nothing really worn. Its kinda bumming me out. Anyway, here's some oics. Enjoy

Little bit of wear on the inside of the teeth:

Picture067.jpg

And on the ouside of the other gear:

Picture065.jpg

And on the fork:

Picture062.jpg

I got a little hungry doing all this and I needed a snack:

Picture074.jpg

Didn't taste to good though. (That's the gear right after the front input shaft bearing)

So what do you think guys?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That piece missing means a chunk of something got caught in between . Did you find any chunks in the oil or on the bumg magnet?

Put the adapter plate in a vice and lift up on the output shaft. Check for looseness in the bearing in the adapter plate/ If it looks ok do the same with the counter shaft just below it. A bad (loose) bearing can cause the shafts to move away from each other under load. Check the two front (large ) bearings too.

Check the counter bearing (shown) and the mainshaft bearing *just above it to the right) in the adapter plate. Check both sides.

Sealick003.jpg

This is a bad mainshaft bearing just forward of rev/5th gears in the adapter plate.

84720004.jpg

Take a look at the rear mainshaft bearing. It's out along the shaft, far right in the picture.

Max5spd002.jpg

It fits the top hole in this picture. There is also a rear counter shaft bearing that rides in the lower hole in this tailshaft/

84720002.jpg

Front main and countershaft bearing should be checked.

FS5W71CMainandcountershaftfrontbear.jpg

Bad front countershaft bearing...

FS5W71Bteardown003Large.jpg

That piece sure looks like a piece of bearing spacer.

DSCN0079-1.jpg

What should I be looking for in the bearings besides broken bits? And I looked at it yesterday and the shafts move side to side (^ --(shaft)-- V) but not up and down

(V --(shaft)-- V or ^ --(shaft)-- ^).

And the assembly in this oic (on the front mainshaft) moves in and out with the input shaft about 1/4in. Is that normal?

Picture073-2.jpg

And some oics of how loose the nuts were:

DSCN0097.jpg

DSCN0095.jpg

What should I be looking for in the bearings besides broken bits? And I looked at it yesterday and the shafts move side to side (^ --(shaft)-- V) but not up and down

(V --(shaft)-- V or ^ --(shaft)-- ^).

And the assembly in this oic (on the front mainshaft) moves in and out with the input shaft about 1/4in. Is that normal?

Picture073-2.jpg

That's the 4th 'gear' syncro. Check the bearing to the front for looseness or damage. It should spin freely but not wobble or move front or back. Same with the counter shaft bearing below it.

And some oics of how loose the nuts were:

DSCN0097.jpg

DSCN0095.jpg

See that little notch on the shaft? get a screwdriver and hammed the nut down just above it to prevent it backing off. Same with the bottom picture. Hammering the nut down into the dip is called staking it.

Also the insides of this tranny are rather rusty. Has it been sitting drained of oil or something?

photo-16.jpg

This transmission is likely the wrong length for your truck besides the wrong bolt pattern. Measure the length of yours.. probably 31.5"

Check the bearing to the front for looseness or damage. It should spin freely but not wobble or move front or back. Same with the counter shaft bearing below it.

I took it to a mechanic yesterday and he said all the bearings were bad.

See that little notch on the shaft? get a screwdriver and hammed the nut down just above it to prevent it backing off. Same with the bottom picture. Hammering the nut down into the dip is called staking it.

Yep yep. I had planned on doing that when I started reassembling it just to be sure I wouldn't have to take it back off

Also the insides of this tranny are rather rusty. Has it been sitting drained of oil or something?

No it hasn't. Its had oil in it since we got he truck and I only drained it a few days ago. And even then its had a coating of oil on it.

This transmission is likely the wrong length for your truck besides the wrong bolt pattern. Measure the length of yours.. probably 31.5"

Went out and measured it last night.....31.5". Damn. Thought it'd be cool to have a dogleg. Oh well. Guess I'll be doing some research on what transmissions i can use and possibly lookin to buy another one.