Back Glass 1200 coupe/ moulding question

KELMO

OK, So I installed the back glass and weatherstrip took about an hour looks like we did it right(the wife helped...I love havin a Datto wife). Well, now its time to put the chrome mouldings back in...ha ha ya right.

The question I have is this: Are the mouldings an intergral part in keeping the glass in place? I ask this because most of my trim is gonna be black anyway and putting the mouldings back in will take me oh about a year :o

Mike, GG, anybody?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelmo, putting the moulding in place BEFORE installing the rear window is the easy way... the front windshield in Smurf has slots for mouldings but there not installed and the windshield after 2 years is still in place, so I don't think it matters. The reason for installing mouldings first is because the rubber moulding is basicly pinching the glass to keep it in place, not impossible but very diffcult to install mouldings because that little slot is almost pinched closed. Lots of soapy water and patients...a friend with a coupe used this method on his car.

Silly me, forgot to include the name of the guy that has a fleet of em. Thanks man, I got to thinkin after it was in that it would have been a good idea to install them before hand. My reasoning was that I had a better chance of breaking the glass while trying to put the mouldings in with the glass on the stand. Gonna let it sit in the sun for the rest of the day and let everything settle in.

I looked ant the mouldings on the front windsheild and looks as tho they are just decorative. That glass has been in 3 or 4 years. Well if the back glass flys out, I gotta spare :D

Thanks again

Thanks ya'll. Been several years since I looked up that weatherstrip andnow I kinda recall two options...just wasn't sure and don't have access to parts catalog at the house

From Scott's Old Rubber, down under Screen seal - rear - coupe (does not take filler or original chrome) 218.665 $137.10 ea 1

Screen seal -rear (coupe KB110) - takes original chrome strip 218.849 $111.30 ea 1

Seals without recess cost more??

Without recess would mean more rubber used to make? Just guessing but the mold would be less intricate. I think I paid less than that for OEM (granted that was 4 or 5 years ago. May have to try them for the windshield weatherstrip on the green car.

Now Kelmo, didn't I tell you this before you put the rear window back in :D :D :D

Congrats on doing it yourself, I chickened out. According to the window guy I hired its a real pain to almost impossible to get the stainless trim back in after the glass is in place, good luck - let us know how it goes.

Evan

Evan, ain't no way in hell that chrome trim is going back in. I tried a couple time and could only get about a 1/4 of the way on, uh uh no way. Plus, I think it looks better without it :cool: