My 510 won't stay running....

Ok, First off, it's been a very long day. I got an L20 in my 72 510. Got it started tonight, however, I have to hold the key in the start position for it to stay running. If I let go it dies. I pulled the ignition switch with key and all from my 620 thinking it was the switch but it still does the same thing. Any ideas would be appreciated, I know it's something stupid that I overlooked. Thanks everyone. :D

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

put the org switch back in.

now look at the blk/wht wire that goes to the ballest resisitor ,see if its hooked up or the ballast resisitor is broken

Simple fix

see if connections are tight

in START the Blk/blu wire gets 12volts

in ON position te Blk/wht wireshould get 12volts.

ck fuse

since you swapped the swtich I assume its not a bad connection there

If you are having to hold the switch in the start position(and your car is in fact running, not just cranking), you should be hearing an awful noise; this will be your starter colliding with the flywheel as it runs. If you don't hear that, then something's wrong w/ how you wired the starter up.

I'd investigate the wiring near the starter, or anywhere else wires were unhooked and hooked back up during the swap. Chances are that the ignition switch wasn't tampered with during the install... but only you know for sure.

put the org switch back in.

now look at the blk/wht wire that goes to the ballest resisitor ,see if its hooked up or the ballast resisitor is broken

Simple fix

see if connections are tight

in START the Blk/blu wire gets 12volts

in ON position te Blk/wht wireshould get 12volts.

ck fuse

since you swapped the swtich I assume its not a bad connection there

The above.

You are only getting power to the coil while cranking. When the key returns to the RUN (or on) position power should be going through the ballast resistor to the coil.