Possible to replace Distributor with more modern electronic type system?

I'm rebuilding my old Datsun 210 (you may have seen some pics) and I'm approaching the point at which I am assembling the new engine. This got me to thinking: on my 2005 Scion tC, there's no distributor driven mechanically, and I wondered: is it possible to replace that system on the old datsun with something more modern and eliminate the distributor altogether?

Just curious :)

Thanks!

Jason

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

A common change is to use a Ford EDIS system. You will need a spark timing controller, the Ford EDIS is set to go to an automatic 10 degrees advanced, without the timing controller

Ouch, that's a little far :). I'd be nervous about using a Ford part in a Datsun :P. Any idea where to get these or what they run? Are they very expensive, and are they very difficult to install? What do you do with the distributor hole, just cap it?

The cheapest system is the Ford, it is 100% reliable, works for decades.

Here it is in my Datsun, distributor removed and replaced with aluminum plug:

21527.jpg

But now MegaSquirt is only about $20 more. You can use it to run distributorless spark with a carburetor. But you have to put the kit together.