L16 trans fit ka?

80datson

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

firstly; its a 5 speed l16 trans. the truck was 1970s so dont get yr panties in a bunch RELAX!...

Secodnly; why spend 150 somthin on cut/bal, a drive shaft when i can use that for a stumpy trans and not have to cut a new shifter hole and i can still use my center consol and use my stock drive shaft.

Thridly; whats going to break?

Fourthy; im not that desperate to hack up my dime just to fit something in when i know there is a more ELEGENT way around it.

Yea, its probably a dogleg (out of late 70's 200sx or 510,not a truck)... and if that is the case, you will break it behind a KA. They can barely hold together from a L20.

It might also be a truck 5speed, which are alot stronger than the dogleg.

And I am relaxed, hence my laughing. You are the one taking offence at an internet post, RELAX! lolz

Im not even sure it bolts up, maybe Mike will show up!

Just wondering if the 1970 l 16 5 speed will fit ka24 ?

firstly; its a 5 speed l16 trans. the truck was 1970s so dont get yr panties in a bunch RELAX!...

Secodnly; why spend 150 somthin on cut/bal, a drive shaft when i can use that for a stumpy trans and not have to cut a new shifter hole and i can still use my center consol and use my stock drive shaft.

Thridly; whats going to break?

Fourthy; im not that desperate to hack up my dime just to fit something in when i know there is a more ELEGENT way around it.

1/ L16 or L18s never had a factory 5 speed offered in any year or model.

2/ If the 5 speed is from a 70s truck it's a long tail (31.5") If the tranny is a short tail (26") it's likely a dogleg from a 200sx. Neither will bolt up properly to the KA anyway. (to be fair, it will bolt to the engine but it won't work in the car, trust me)

3/ There is nothing to 'hack up' when putting a longtail 5 speed into a 510. Well you may have to move the shifter hole back a few inches.But this is the price you pay for a proper KA 5 speed. Anything else you will be removing it and wishing you had done it right the first time.

1/ L16 or L18s never had a factory 5 speed offered in any year or model.

2/ If the 5 speed is from a 70s truck it's a long tail (31.5") If the tranny is a short tail (26") it's likely a dogleg from a 200sx. Neither will bolt up properly to the KA anyway. (to be fair, it will bolt to the engine but it won't work in the car, trust me)

3/ There is nothing to 'hack up' when putting a longtail 5 speed into a 510. Well you may have to move the shifter hole back a few inches.But this is the price you pay for a proper KA 5 speed. Anything else you will be removing it and wishing you had done it right the first time.

ah ok. its around 26.3 inches or so somewhere a bit over 26 inches.. i pulled it off a L16 motor which was in a 1600 truck.. ive noticed that it could possibly bolt to the engine like yu say but also where the hole for the starters at on the trans puts the trans very sideways which isnt going to work i figuerd that out earlyer today lol. also this is going into my 210. would the trans from a 83 720 king cab work with the ka? if so i can go and exchange this dogleg for it ive seen about 3 720 at the junk yard.. i just dont wanna cut a new shifter hole at the moment and would like to see all my options before i decide on that.. but i do have the ka trans if i decide to go that route..

..... would the trans from a 83 720 king cab work with the ka? if so i can go and exchange this dogleg for it ive seen about 3 720 at the junk yard.. i just dont wanna cut a new shifter hole at the moment and would like to see all my options before i decide on that.. but i do have the ka trans if i decide to go that route..

If you have a dogleg sell to someone who wants and can use it . Don't give back to a yard, they don't have a clue.

Any Z series motor, as used in the 720 or the '80-'83 S110, (200sx) will bolt to the KA but, only the shorty used in some 720s will fit close enough to maby not need cutting the shift hole. The 720 also came with a diesel motor option and that transmission bell is different.

If you have a dogleg sell to someone who wants and can use it . Don't give back to a yard, they don't have a clue.

Any Z series motor, as used in the 720 or the '80-'83 S110, (200sx) will bolt to the KA but, only the shorty used in some 720s will fit close enough to maby not need cutting the shift hole. The 720 also came with a diesel motor option and that transmission bell is different.

well i am willing to sell or trade for a stumpy that will work for my ka.. so the 720 king cab trans will bolt right up then?

All Z series transmissions from th 720 and the second gen 200sx will bolt up correctly but the shorty is only found on the 720 trucks. Exactly which models got i, I do not know. Contact Doug (Sealick) on here, he has more knowledge on this.

Here's one... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34384-5-spd-tranny/page__p__524370__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=524370