1977 280z

Haaku

So i'm in az and looking for a datsun and found one for a good price but it does not run the person selling it has replaced tires, fuel pump, ignition coil, alternator, and brakes but it doesn't run yet does anyone know what it needs to run or what I can do to fix it? I'm only 18 and this will be my first car so I just want to know if it will cost a lot or what so if anyone on here could help me it would be a huge help so also he said before it died the lights would work one day and then it wouldn't and right before it stopped the fan belt came off witch he replaced so? just let me know if you guys know what it would take to get running thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the fast reply but the guy selling it says its not going to need a new engine and i dont think he is just saying that to sell it he isnt a mechanic so but also could it just be a battery or what? and i have alot of mechanics in the family so

and i have alot of mechanics in the family so

have one of them check it out. L motors are easy to get running.

just because he says the motor is good doesnt mean it is.

him not being any sort of mechanic makes his word even less reliable.

Well there you go. Buy the car, the EFI is simple and cheap and a new engine won't be needed ... how can you lose?

do I detect a hint of sarcasm :rolleyes:

the L28 EFI is pretty basic, and if the parts are to expensive your either super cheap or shopping in the wrong places.

so what should I do?

and i have alot of mechanics in the family so

so have one of them check it out with you.

we can only do some much without actually seeing it ourselves.

if you have a mechanic in the family that knows what there doing (ie: not a shitty mechanic) your best bet is to have them with you so you have someone with some knowledge looking at it in the flesh.

Alright well its not in the best of shape ill probably go check it out next weekend and I will post pics this weekend if i can get some so you guys can see what im looking at Do you guys know any one in Az that could help if I needed some?

There's a LOT of us in the Phoenix area, and more scattered around the state. We have a big club here in PHX called Desert Datsuns.

As for the Z, it could be something as stupid as a loose wire, or it could be a much bigger problem. Like the guys said though, parts are relatively easy to come by. If you get in contact with our club, finding local parts will be even easier. There's no easy way to help you out without additional information.

Does it crank? Does the engine turn over, but just not start?

Does it start, and then die?

Does it run, but rough?

Does it crank over, sputter, but not actually run.

Does nothing happen?

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. If you could get us a pic, and answer the above questions, we could help a lot more.