Replacement headlights

Ok, I'm looking to have replacement headlights... as if one goes out I'll have to order it anyways. So I started researching and something that should have been very easy hasn't worked out that way. To start off, my Laurel uses dual headlights, combo low and high beam on the outside and high only on the inside. I pulled them out and my hi beam only is a 50W 5001, that was easy to find online. But the combo low/hi... that's a different story, it's a 37.5/50W marked as 4002LH. I've searched online, and finding a 4002 is next to impossible. I looked at the parts manual I've got, and it lists the part numbers below:

Unit-Sealed Beam Type 1 (All models) - 26701-89910

Unit-Sealed Beam Type 2 (R Drive) - 26702-89910 / (L Drive) - 26702-89915

Since the Laurel's RHD, I figure that may be the issue in finding a replacement Lo/Hi lamp is that the 4002 is for RHD countries. I looked online using the part numbers for the L Drive Type 2 and Type 1 lights, they seem to match the '66-'68 520 headlights. So does anyone know the standard bulb numbers for the dual headlight 520 of those years?

Also, the retaining rings seem to be falling apart (spot welds separating) and the part number (26023-78502) appears to match the 68-72 dual headlight 520 as well. Does anyone happen to know of a source for replacements other than the junkyard? I found one online in Australia, but that's it so far.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just go to any autoparts store, wrecking yard, or Nissan dealer and get new lights. I recommend Halogens, they are inexpensive and a lot brighter than the original 521 spec headlamps.

Yes, the USA type has the appropriate beam pattern for right-side road driving and has more wattage to boot.

The LH seems to be for Low/High. They're definitely RHD beam pattern as they're the original lights that got through the inspection in Japan, it would have failed if they weren't.

I've checked on the Autozone and O'Reilly's sites for the 520/521 headlights, and they don't list anything. I'm not near a Nissan dealer unfortunately, closest one is about 80 miles, I'll have to check the next time I'm in that area. I'm hoping to check out the one JYard nearby that has some old Dat pickups, but I don't think it's got any in that year range. I'm hoping to find some halogen replacements when I do find some info on the basic bulb type number.

Thanks for that link and info. That helped me search around and get a little more info. I came across this which shows that the 5006 replaced the 4000 bulb:

Wagner_4000_04.jpg

From what I've seen, the 5006 is 35W on both circuits (low or hi beam selected). So it seems if I change my lights from the 4002 to the 5006 that I'll only have low beam on the one and high on the second 5001.

I dig into the 4000 that it lists replacing, and I've found mixed info if it's low and high together. It's listed here as being both: http://www.brite-lite.com/Products/Sealbm.html But I did find a picture of one and it had six raised areas for the key marks:

bulb4000back.jpg

That's not good as my holder only has three and it wouldn't sit flush in there. Now the headlight list I linked just above also lists a 4040 bulb that looks to have the right low/high info as well, but I haven't found a pic of the back yet to see what key tabs it has.

So I've got a few options, going halogen and losing the high beam from the outer headlights. Trying the 4000 or 4040 type, though it may not sit in the light assembly holder quite right. Or what I've been considering after seeing all this, going to the PAR46 type lens assembly with H4 bulbs. Luckily all my lights are working at this moment (where's some wood to knock on?!) so I should have time to figure out what direction I want to go in.