71 521KC Dually Flatbed Build

bob72gts

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a flatbed rack, actually. How far are you from Oxnard?

Almost 300 miles, so it's pretty far, and I have a very specific look in mind for this bed when it is done. It will have to be custom built by me or else I won't be happy with the finished product.

I will keep yours in mind though, I may be able to use it for a different project in the future.

Almost 300 miles, so it's pretty far, and I have a very specific look in mind for this bed when it is done. It will have to be custom built by me or else I won't be happy with the finished product.

I will keep yours in mind though, I may be able to use it for a different project in the future.

I completely understand. If I can't move it by the fall it's probably going to the recycle yard. I rent a space in the auto storage lot here and after my truck is running I won't need to keep the storage space. It'll be cool to see your project, thanks very much for sharing it here.

RD

I got one of the new bedsides welded into place today. Looks BITHCHIN'

I know pics or it didn't happen, but I left my camera at the shop, y'all gotta wait till tomorrow.

I don't know if I can wait that long, so here is one to hold us until tomarrow. This is a diesel 521 dually doing the vancouver "cruz the gut" last year.

DSCN0254.jpg

I don't know if I can wait that long, so here is one to hold us until tomarrow. This is a diesel 521 dually doing the vancouver "cruz the gut" last year.

DSCN0254.jpg

MMMMMMMM MMMMMM MMM very clean. Looks like it is on a late 620 frame because....

1. Stock wheels flushed out to fender lips suggests disc brakes.

2. The tie-down hooks under the frame in front, I have them on my late trucks.

3. Apparent lack of sway bar all of my early trucks have one, my late trucks do not.

Possibly a 620 or 720 motorhome frame????

Anyway it is nice. Is it on here?

MMMMMMMM MMMMMM MMM very clean. Looks like it is on a late 620 frame because....

1. Stock wheels flushed out to fender lips suggests disc brakes.

2. The tie-down hooks under the frame in front, I have them on my late trucks.

3. Apparent lack of sway bar all of my early trucks have one, my late trucks do not.

Possibly a 620 or 720 motorhome frame????

Anyway it is nice. Is it on here?

I think in this photo it is on a 720 diesel KC frame, 81 or 82, if it isn't that frame then it is still on the 1970 521 motorhome frame it started its life on, I suspect it is the 720 KC frame though, and it does have disc brakes, and power steering and power brakes also. It made the blue lake photos one year, but he isn't a member of ratsun, most of this conversion was done 4 to 5 years ago, except for the frame change which was a year and a half ago. I think he has a sway bar, but I could be wrong, his dad is so anal about stuff like that, i'll bet it has a sway bar.

Ok here are some pics showing the right bed side installed.

009.jpg

008-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

019.jpg

I need to get the left side hung and then I can start framing the flat bed. Once the frame of the bed is in place I can cut off the tops of both beds.

Didn't get anything done on the 521 today, beeen working on other junk including this.

013.jpg

And this.

020.jpg

The 720 4x4 belongs to a buddy and has a blown headgasket. That would be a quick easy fix, but he took it apart himself and dropped the chain and tensioner into the timing cover. Also the intake manifold is eaten up from running straight water for a long time. Trying to "fix" it with JB weld. I will see how that turned out tomorrow a.m.

That white turd is a 91 Buick Century that I took in on trade against an 85 Dodge 1/2 ton short bed project. Had to fix a few things on it today and now I am trying to find it a new home.

This project has my interest, I am waiting to see what it looks like without the bed sides. The guy I bought this from raised the stock bed to clear the wheels and put a plate over each of the wheel well holes.

DSCN0568.jpg

DSCN0569.jpg

wayno this needs to see some dually action, hmmmm 320KC

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Long time, no post. Finally got a chance to work on this again. Yanked the engine out a couple of days ago and today I got the left side of the bed mocked up.

After I pulled the "rebuilt" engine I did a quickie tear down to see what I was working with. Turns out it is a "spray paint rebuild". There is some minor pitting in cyl #3, most likely from a blown head gasket many moons ago. It would probably be fine, but I have other options so this short block will probably be scrap. There was good news though. The clutch disc and pressure plate are 100% brand new, the flywheel is clean, and the head is a W53 in good shape.

oics???

Not today, forgot my camera at home.

I did get some more work done on the left bedside. It is now welded in place and I am filling the gaps with some scrap plate I picked up at the local steel yard.

I will try to get some pics up tomorrow of the work on the bed, but today I had something more important than PICS. I had a JOB INTERVIEW!!!11!! It seemed to go good. With any luck I will be wearing an orange shirt at Home Depot this time next week

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of an update. The left bedside is hung and some of the filler plates have been welded in.

kcseals017.jpg

I have an idea to build stretched taillights, but it will require cutting up 2 good sets and I don't even have 1 good set yet. Here is a pic of the left side moved out to the corner.

kcseals018.jpg

The stock taillights are built in 3 sections. I will call them TURN, BRAKE, REVERSE. My plan is to set up the lights for this truck in a TURN, BRAKE, BRAKE, REVERSE pattern. The brake section is about 8 3/4" long which happens to be how far I moved the bedsides.

Another project I have been thinking about on this truck is a new front bumper. The stock bumper and valance panel just aren't meshing with my "heavy duty work truck" theme. Here is what is inspiring me.

bigchrome.jpg

I am thinking 12" tall and it will follow the body lines and wrap around to the wheel wells. With the planned lowering and tire change the bottom of this bumper would be about 3.5" from the ground.

• Like 1