Doing ball joints tomorrow

It's gonna be my first time ever touching a set, and I have ZERO knowledge on them.

Is there any advice you guys can offer? Anything I might need to know? I really don't wanna fuck anything up.

I already have the ball joint separator, and I'm getting a ball joint press tomorrow.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just did mine for the first time and at first I was fucking lost. I got frustrated and gave up because I hadnt asked anyone yet. But If you have that fork looking tool all you need is a big hammer too. Just wedge it as far in with the hammer as you can and and if it doest pop loose from that then put the nut onto the ball joint until it is flush with the top of the threads so you can hit it without fucking up the threads. Then pry on it a little with the fork which is already slammed in there and hit the top of it with the nut on there at the same time. Dont be shy with it fucking slam it

Yes, you can use a pickle fork. Works every time.

The FSM says to remove the LCA. But as I remember you might be able to pry down the Lower Control Arm (tranverse link) enough to separate the strut from the knuckle arm, so to you can access the ball joint taper. They pry bar is partly because the anti-swaybar is connected to the LCA and acts like a spring. Chilton says to unbolt the tension rod and swaybar from the LCA.

As long as you don't unbolt the strut center bolt on top, there's no danger of the spring flying out.

1. Remove two strut-to-knuckle arm bolts

1.1 (maybe) unbolt the tension rod (castor rod) from the LCA

1.2 (maybe) unbolt the swaybar from the LCA

2. Pry LCA down while pulling strut/brake assembly slightly forward

3. One you get them separated, remove the single nut holding the ball joint to knuckle arm

4. Use the big hammer and pickle fork. I used a 12-lb sledge.

5. Undo the four bolts fastening ball joint to LCA

But I did this long time ago and it was B110. Might not be able to pull the B310 arm down far enough, but the suspension is virtually identical.

Oh and don't tighten the wheel nuts too tight. I've had 210 lugs strip out or get deformed. Only 65 ft. lb. They don't call me "loose nuts" Zilla for nothing.

• Like 1