HEY DATZENMIKE

Just though id show ya this. S13 ke24e 5 speed poppin outta 5th gears with some terrible growling almost a hissing sound.

WELL THEIRS YOUR PROBLEM!!!

IMG_20110723_162330.jpg

Take notice that their is only 4 roller balls left in the bearing race

IMG_20110723_162341.jpg

IMG_20110724_131109.jpg

IMG_20110724_131008.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_20110723_162330.jpg

Reverse idler gear. This is constantly turned by the counter shaft with the missing balls. It's common to see these chewed on that edge from grinding when putting into reverse. (the gear above and slightly to the right of it will probably have some wear on it on the engine side)

Take notice that their is only 4 roller balls left in the bearing race

IMG_20110723_162341.jpg

This is the engine side of the adapter plate showing the counter shaft bearing behind 1st gear.

IMG_20110724_131109.jpg

Reverse on left and 5th on right, brass synchro for 5th in the middle. I would check the mainshaft bearing in the adapter plate just forward of the reverse gear. That's just above the one with the missing balls. If it's bad the mainshaft will wobble and move out of alignment with the 5th/rev shift fork.

IMG_20110724_131008.jpg

The bad rear counter shaft bearing is 32203 V5201 about $25

Main shaft bearing above it (if bad) is 32273 T6400 about $80

Reverse idler gear is 32282 55S04 $65 but I would leave it, seen worse and you may only have some whine in reverse.

The 5th overdrive and counter drive for it are sold in sets and are $220 or more. They don't look that bad... :lol:

If you feel like changing the synchro while you have it apart it's 32607 80S00 about $35 or so. Probably not needed because 5th is not used much and has little wear on it.

Another bearing that commonly fails is the front counter bearing. Worth checking that it spins smoothly by hand and has no looseness. The number is 32219 V5201 about $40.

Verify these numbers at the Nissan dealer.

Really there is no 4th gear as such, power is transmitted straight along the mainshaft from front to rear, no gears just one turn in and one turn out. In 5th The counter gear is larger than the 5th gear that it drives. So one turn of the counter gear spins the 5th gear (and the mainshaft 1.18 or 1.125 depending on the ratio used.

IMG_20110724_131008.jpg

Think of the mainshaft as a two piece broom stick running the length of the tranny with gears stacked on it but free to spin freely. Normally this broom stick is not connected, just to the right of the first pair of gears on the left. The top one drives the bottom gear on the counter shaft which also has three gears on it just to the right towards the adapter plate, and are in constant mesh with gears above them on the mainshaft. These gears from left to right are 3rd, 2nd and 1st. just against the adapter plate. Forget about 4th for now. All are spinning at different rates and are driven by the countershaft below them but not connected to the mainshaft. When 1st. is selected the top gear on the mainshaft is locked to the shaft by a spline and can now transmit power through it out the tailshaft. When the shifter moves to 2nd, 1st is disconnected and 2nd is locked to the mainshaft. The same happens with 3rd. Now for 4th no gear is needed, all we have to do is lock or connect up our broomstick to the back of the first gear to make it transmit power straight through. Reverse is directly behind the adapter plate and adds a third gear between the counter reverse gear and the reverse gear on the mainshaft to cause them to reverse direction. 5th are the last pair of gears to the extreme right. The counter drive 5th gear is slightly larger than the 5 th gear it drives and this gives more than one turn output for every turn input.

None of the gears you see hear engage or disengage or move in or out of mesh. When you grind a gear it's not these but the spline inside them on the mainshaft.

This is very simplified so I hope it makes some sense.

makes alot of sense! So i really dont see the need to replace any gears they all look good other than the reverse but im sure alot of trannys look like that. I'm thinking i can replace bearings etc still be nice to see a exploded veiw springs some plastic peices and check balls fell outta this tranny! i dunno where the hell they went.

Post a picture of the pieces. Some FS5W71Bs use a plastic worm gear for the speedo drive and the speedo pinion all have plastic gears..

5speedfor710goon027Large.jpg

trannyspeedogears003Large.jpg

These are the only plastic I can think of.

There are internal springs inside the synchros...

centeringrockers001Large.jpg

Can't see them getting out. Perhaps if these are them it was a previous problem that was fixed. :)

Those are detent balls and springs by the look of them. They are inside the adapter plate and are held against the shift rods. They could not fall out in operation. If not removed first and you removed the shift rods they would fly out..

Here between the front and rear case halves is the inch thick adapter plate. You can see the three shift forks and on the adaptor plate are two hex head bolts or plugs. The spring and the steel ball is under each of them. The 1st/2nd shift rod is the top one and the plug for it is higher up near the tranny top.

620CAFS5W71B85turbo200sx016Large.jpg