L20B timing

col

I have an L20B that needed a new timing chain. The engine is in the truck and taken apart before I got to it, so I don't have reference to how it was. I am fairly confident the crank and cam were not moved between when the old chain came off and the new chain was put on.

We replaced the chain with the 44 links between the timing marks. Question...which timing mark should I use on the cam? I aligned it with the timing mark numbered "1" on the outer edge of the camshaft sprocket (not the "1" on the hub of the camshaft sprocket), which was a little short of the 3 o'clock position when the crankshaft was at TDC on compression.

What has me confused is a diagram we got from a manual shows 4 dimples on the outside camshaft sprocket and suggests it needs to aligned with the second dimple on the outside of the camshaft sprocket. I don't know how it was before but without moving the cam or crank, we got the 44 links between the marks so it must be correct.

I put it back together and the engine runs, the timing doesn't seem right. The engine wants to run best when the timing notch on the crankshaft pulley is past the 20deg mark...it looks like it is about 30deg advanced. When I pull it back to between 10 and 20 deg, it doesn't want to run as well and the distributor lock-down is out of position for the bolt. With the distributor lock-down bolt aligned in the lock-down slot, it is still about 20deg advanced.

I don't know if the distributor is in the right position. It may be mis-aligned on the drive gear or oil pump shaft (I did not put it in). When I put the #1 cylinder at TDC, and align the crankshaft pulley notch with 0deg, the rotor points to about 6:30 (if the lockdown tabs are 12 and 6) and the #1 plug wire is about 8:00, so it appears it is late, but maybe that's my inexperience.

The engine runs smoothly but I would like to get the timing dialed in properly. Why is it so far advanced and how do I get it right? Do I need to pull the distributor and get it aligned differently?

thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic