65 320 floor shift transmission

ArkDat

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi, you looking for a complete tranny? I should have several...never sure of condition, came out of parts trucks...will have to check stock...could be all gone...shipping would be a pain...have to maybe go by Greyhound...don't know if they have a weight limit. come over to Seattle and get one...no I am not giving away parts...I sell 320 parts.

Found one!

I picked up a 65 L320. The body is pretty nice. and the bed is almost straight as new. I am removing a few parts then selling the rest. No title with it, or I would save it to restore later.

If anyone needs anything let me know.

Bob

Found one!

I picked up a 65 L320. The body is pretty nice. and the bed is almost straight as new. I am removing a few parts then selling the rest. No title with it, or I would save it to restore later.

If anyone needs anything let me know.

Bob

What does the grill look like Bob, do you have any photos?

It is the round style parking lights that I like. It is really straight, but no chrome left, it is rusting pretty bad.

I also have a really straight 64 grille with the pie shaped lights that I am thinking of selling or asking for a swap of another grille with round lights. It is rusted some, but should clean pretty good for a daily driver.

I can't post on here, but PM me your email and I will email you pix of the truck.

Bob

Can one of you guys please tell me where the fill plug is for a L320 transmission? I can't seem to locate it. All I see is a nut that holds a slotted screw in it, but it seems way too high up, and doesn't look like a normal tranny fill plug....

Can one of you guys please tell me where the fill plug is for a L320 transmission? I can't seem to locate it. All I see is a nut that holds a slotted screw in it, but it seems way too high up, and doesn't look like a normal tranny fill plug....

Is it a column shift or floor shift?

Is it a column shift or floor shift?

Floor shift, 65. The truck has a J13, but it looks like there's a tranny adapter plate, and the tranny looks kinda like the one in the L320 manual (other than it has a floor shifter, and the ones in the manual show column shifters). Only markings I've found are 'LT5 267' above the flywheel.

I found what looks like a fill plug way at the back of the shifter platform, but I'm wondering if that just goes to a little turret for the shifter itself....

Floor shift, 65. The truck has a J13, but it looks like there's a tranny adapter plate, and the tranny looks kinda like the one in the L320 manual (other than it has a floor shifter, and the ones in the manual show column shifters). Only markings I've found are 'LT5 267' above the flywheel.

I found what looks like a fill plug way at the back of the shifter platform, but I'm wondering if that just goes to a little turret for the shifter itself....

If it is a J tranny, the fill plug would be drivers side half way up the case in the middle, or on the late 320? and early 520 there was a hole on the trasmission tunnel in the cab by the heater box just to the right of the gas pedal that allowed access to the tranny dip stick. If you can't find it with these suggestions on where to look, I can take photos of the two types I have. wayno

If it is a J tranny, the fill plug would be drivers side half way up the case in the middle, or on the late 320? and early 520 there was a hole on the trasmission tunnel in the cab by the heater box just to the right of the gas pedal that allowed access to the tranny dip stick. If you can't find it with these suggestions on where to look, I can take photos of the two types I have. wayno

I think I got it now that I found the dipstick. :rolleyes: Now I'm just wondering if I should also drain the turret around the shifter, and replace the oil there, and in what order. It appears to have its own little pan that's leaking. I think I'll go ahead and release the fluid and see if I can fill it from the top or side, and then fill the rest of the gearbox from the dipstick hole. I'm assuming the lower line is the cold level, and upper line is the hot level.

My miata has a similar little turret that sits on top of the tranny (while the L320's seems to sit back a little). So that's why I'm wondering about that. I figure I'll try to make this thing shift as smooth as I can....

Nice looking late 65 truck. What are your plans?

383454165_o.jpg

Just a rock solid reliable driver, bike and parts hauler for a few decades. I love the exterior just the way it is with the worn look. I'd like to completely rust-proof the underside, though. Perhaps a layer or two of POR-15, amongst other things. It'll stay garaged in the winter time.

Just a few tweaks to make it more comfortable. I've already installed three point retractable seatbelts to make my girlfriend more comfortable. Some different mirrors might be nice, and not too much else. Might consider a rear-end gear swap for mileage if I have to commute with it for a new job. I've driven it about 1400 miles since it got delivered on June 15th, mostly around town as well as a few road trips.

Just a rock solid reliable driver, bike and parts hauler for a few decades. I love the exterior just the way it is with the worn look. I'd like to completely rust-proof the underside, though. Perhaps a layer or two of POR-15, amongst other things. It'll stay garaged in the winter time.

Just a few tweaks to make it more comfortable. I've already installed three point retractable seatbelts to make my girlfriend more comfortable. Some different mirrors might be nice, and not too much else. Might consider a rear-end gear swap for mileage if I have to commute with it for a new job. I've driven it about 1400 miles since it got delivered on June 15th, mostly around town as well as a few road trips.

I do not beleave the mirrors are stock, my 320s did not have the mirror connected to the door, mine were just in front of the door connected to the fender on the drivers side. This is where it was on my pickup, just in front of the door.

DSCN0362.jpg

I do not beleave the mirrors are stock, my 320s did not have the mirror connected to the door, mine were just in front of the door connected to the fender on the drivers side.

I just removed the big 15/16" plug way at the back of the shifter platform, and yeah its either a fill plug or a drain plug. Nothing came out. It's certainly nothing structural, and there's a bit of a metal pan underneath the platform. I'm gonna put some oil in there, can't hurt.

I just removed the big 15/16" plug way at the back of the shifter platform, and yeah its either a fill plug or a drain plug. Nothing came out. It's certainly nothing structural, and there's a bit of a metal pan underneath the platform. I'm gonna put some oil in there, can't hurt.

I doubt that it has anything to do with filling the tranny, I suspect that the dip stick hole is where the fluid goes. This is kind of a thread jack, you should start your own thread for your truck, no one would know to look here for your truck. You have a really nice late 65 L320.:cool:

I doubt that it has anything to do with filling the tranny, I suspect that the dip stick hole is where the fluid goes. This is kind of a thread jack, you should start your own thread for your truck, no one would know to look here for your truck. You have a really nice late 65 L320.:cool:

I was planning on doing that later when I had time. For now, lets keep talking floor shift trannies, like the topic says. The 15/16" plug on the shifter platform had a copper sealing ring as well, so I'm thinking its a separate drain plug for the shifter turret. I would fill the shifter turret by removing the shifter (done did that), and I'll put the oil in the shifter hole. It works the same way in my Miata. The miata is a pain cuz there's no separate turret drain, and you have to pump the oil out before putting it in.