HEI conversion for a 75-76 L20

Hi, I new to this here site. I have just got an old 70's 521 pick up given to me from my paps, he built it years ago converted it to a four wheel drive with all jeep running with a L 20 powerplant. It has been sitting for some time now and he says that the hei that is in has done craped out. So I am doing some resaerch to figure out where I can get new one or maybe a diagram of the corret wiring procedure for it. He says they have kits for it but cant remember the site he had seen them. So if any one here has any clue wich Im sure some one dose out their some tips or info would be great. Thanks alot and glad to part of the old school dastun community. Cant wait to get her on the road before this winter to do some good snow wheeling in her. My dad say it has a weber carb cam on her and header and exaust that will break glass when wrapping the pipes.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

super simple if you have the right dizzy. i actually have done this on my 73 620. i used an HEI unit from an 86 caprice and custom wired it using a factory EI dizzy and coil. i can take some pics tomorrow, as i have to head off ot work here shortly, that shows what goes where.

That would be sweet. it will be my first time doing it so Im really stoked to get the bolts turning on my new toy just got it the other day anticapation is killing me. I have wanted it this truck for ever and its mine. Thanks alot man

One more thing that would be helpful is derection on where to get a ei dizzy that will work for it, and not to sound like a jack ass what exactly is a ei dizzy electonic ignition somthing correct.

The EI distributors work exactly like the earlier ones but there are no points. Everything is done with solid state parts so there is nothing to wear out or adjust. Because they can handle more power through them a lower impedance coil is used which produces more output voltage for the plugs. To take advantage of the higher output the plugs should be re-gaped to 0.038" - 0.042"

There are two different styles of Electronic Ignition made by Nissan for the L series motors. The early ones used on California models and all models for '78 were known as 'remote igniter' units and had a black box mounted under the dash that was about the size of a pocket novel.

Remote igniter distributor.

EIdizzyremoteigniter.jpg

Remote igniter box.

DatsunEI006Large.jpg

The second type used on all '79 and '80 cars saw the remote igniter box miniaturized and mounted on the side of the distributor. These are referred to as the 'matchbox' distributors.

DatsunEI005Large.jpg

Under the cap is different from the remote igniter types also. Matchbox:

EIdizzymatchbox.jpg

Both types can be used with the HEI module from a GM car. I will add that the EI distributors almost never fail. I have never seen one and have never heard of a verified bad one. Poor spark can most often be traced to a crappy after market coil, cracked cap/rotor or just plain old wires.

Remote igniter connections for use with HEI from GM car....

GMHEIconnections.jpg