210 auto stalls when deccelerating

aatrain

Just swapped into a great little 210 with automatic. Runs and drives really good, but it has an annoying habit when it warms up: it stalls when I am deccellerating to a stop, or coming to an intersection. It also is idling high in park and neutral. Currently, I'm having to shift into N when apprOaching an intersection so it doesn't stall, but it only does it after a 15 min warmup.

I haven't got the manual yet- have only had it a couPle of days, if y'all could shoot me some ideas, I'd appreciate it.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vacuum leaks aside, some other causes are:

The EGR valve accumulates deposits and does not shut properly. At idle there is no EGR so if the valve is leaking it will act like a vacuum leak. Sometimes just lifting the plinth with your fingernail and letting snap closed will clear it.

Valve clearance(s) are too tight.

Idle mixture needs adjusting

Timing too retarded.

As part of the throttle assembly there is a canister device with a plunger that will hold the throttle partly open for a short time. It's there because the auto trans still has some load on the engine and will stall it out otherwise. There is some adjustment to it or it may have quit working. It's not needed with the standard trans and I cut off the one on my carb.

There are two canister devices

* Dashpot is automatics usually, but on later models is used on some manual models.

* Throttle Opener, used by both auto and manual, depending on year, etc.

Dashpot (no vacuum is involved, but if it gets loose, the idle varies all over the place):

7797.jpg

Throttle Opener (operated by vacuum):

1008.jpg

Thanks so much for all the visuals. All of your help is awsome. I retrieved my vacuum pump today and am planning a long weekend for figuring this (and a couple other ) problems out. BTW- I will soon be doing a transmission swap to 5 speed, so I'm going to be selling/ trading the automatic trans- look for it in the appropriate section soon.