Air Cleaner and Throttle Linkage Mystery

jimbar99

Here in the St. Louis area, we don't see too many L320s. None in fact that I can remember ever seeing, but I have one. Unlike out West, there aren't any around that I can go look at to figure out what's missing or wrong on mine, so I'm relying on your expert eyes to look at my pictures and tell me what's wrong or missing and hopefully suggest what I need to get to make it right.

This first pic has an arrow pointing to the jury rigged linkage and return spring, plus another pointing at a band clamp perched atop the carb that I'm pretty sure shouldn't be there. The return spring is ridiculous as you can imagine. It looks like the bracket that the throttle cable is attached to has been bent down 90 degrees and I'm sure that can't be right.

CarbLinkage.jpg

Maybe there is something related in the second pic of the air cleaner. There is (1) what appears to be a broken tab off of some kind of bracket, (2) a rubber grommet with nothing going through it, and (3) a short flange on the air cleaner that is probably the reason for the band clamp in the previous picture. I could weld on an extended flange if that's what's needed to correct it. But wait there's more.

air-cleaner-questions-1-to-.jpg

The last pic shows 3 threaded holes in the air cleaner, but I have no idea what they are for.

air-cleaner-threaded-holes.jpg

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Some pics of what it is supposed to look like would be helpful. Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe there is something related in the second pic of the air cleaner. There is (1) what appears to be a broken tab off of some kind of bracket, (2) a rubber grommet with nothing going through it, and (3) a short flange on the air cleaner that is probably the reason for the band clamp in the previous picture. I could weld on an extended flange if that's what's needed to correct it. But wait there's more.

#2 is for a handle that is turned by hand to tighten a band clamp to hold the air cleaner around the air horn on the carb

air-cleaner-questions-1-to-.jpg

The last pic shows 3 threaded holes in the air cleaner, but I have no idea what they are for.

air-cleaner-threaded-holes.jpg

At least two of them are for bolts to tighten the air cleaner to a strap that is bolted to the intake to make the air filter a more rigid mount.

Thanks guys for the info and especially the pics!

It looks like my linkage bracket might be the right piece but installed in the wrong place and orientation. I can probably fabricate one of the band clamp things pretty easily. The arrangement that's on it now is completely useless. I did figure out that there was a support bar that attached from the manifold to that welded bracket that sticks out toward the front of the air cleaner and made a piece for that.

I looked at the parts manual (for the 63, mine is a 65) and it shows another bracket (16574-08000) that looks like it attaches to the bottom of the air cleaner, possibly the #1 identified in my picture, and to some vertical surface, it looks like near the base of the carb. I'll have to take a look and see what's down there. I can see why the air cleaner needs some help holding it in place. On most cars they made the stud that tightens the air cleaner down screw right into the carburetor, but not on this one.

Hey Wayno,

Can you throw a tape measure on that band clamp on the air cleaner and tell me how wide it is? It looks to be about 1-1/2" or so, but the actual number would be better than trial and error. It also looks like the flanged fitting on the air cleaner is about flush with the edge of the clamp, so knowing that width would tell me how much I need to extend my flanged fitting and of course how wide to make the clamp. I don't know why somebody cut the flanged fitting off short on mine. The diameter is self expalanatory.

By the way, your truck is amazing. Too bad NLs don't make it this far east very often as I'd love to get my hands on one.

Jim

The clamp is half an inch wide, the hole is what ever the carb opening is plus a little, there is supposed to be a rubber ring that is part of the air filter, the rubber ring goes inside the flange, and the clamp goes on the outside of the flange. I tried to get a photo of the rubber piece, it is not a complete rubber piece, but you get the idea. The first photos I posted of an airfliter the opening was 2 3/8", the opening in the filter pictured below is 2 3/4", and I have another one that is 2 5/8". The filter housing pictured below is differant, it says nissan, all the rest I have say nothing.

DSCN0628.jpg

DSCN0627.jpg

DSCN0699.jpg