Spedo

I've searched for a bit and dicided to post due to not finding my answer. My speedo needle jumps around until I hit about 35 miles an hour. The 510 has done this since I got it. Any one have any ideas what this could be speedo cable is tight on both ends. I think it might be streached that's the only thing that makes since to me. Any ideas

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The inner cable is like a tightly coiled spring in a hollow outer tube. If it binds the cable continues to turn and stores energy. When it snaps loose it 'unwinds' quickly and the needle jumps. The outer housing may have a tight bend or may be damaged allowing water and dirt in. The inner cable may be rusty or just dry.

Use vice grips or channel lock pliers (carefully) if you can't unscrew the transmission end off by hand. Slide the inner cable out and inspect and oil with dry graphite powder or molybdenum grease. Watch out that sucker is slippery and will get away on you.

Yes. Any '74 and up 620 truck or 280z/zx (non turbo) and Maxima speedo should work. I replaced the short 4 speed in my 710 with a long zx. I was able to use the short 4 speed cable that was on the driver's side and with careful routing down over the top of the tranny and down over to the pass side was able to make it work with zero problems.