Looking for something to do over the holiday weekend.

Hey,

I was planning on heading down to the Crecent City area for the weekend, but I don't really know what to do when I am there.. or what to do for the rest of the weekend. Is anyone familliar with the area or some where within driving distance that would be a cool place to visit or spend the night? I'm going to a wedding in somewhere in the Redwoods on Saturday and now I have the rest of the weekend including Monday to find something to do. I'll be driving from Eugene. Let me know what you think!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 199 just North of Crescent City is Jedediah Smith State Park. There is a short walk through the giant Redwood Groves that is a mind blower really early in the morning as the coastal fog burns back. There are some great places to swim in the Smith River and dive off the rocks.

I usually stay at the Town House Motel on 101 right north of the commercial fishing harbor in the Southern part of town. It is cheap and clean. The liquor store is next door and by the time I get to Crescent City, I am burnt from driving, so I walk over to the restaurant in the Harbor. I have eaten there forty or fifty times and I can't remember what it's called, but it is a big two story building, can't miss it. Love to eat in the dining room and watch the sunset. I usually have the Salmon Special, but they have all kinds of fresh seafood... I mean the fishing fleet is a 100 feet away. The last time I was through there you get soup, salad, entree with taters or rice and coffee and ice cream for desert... all for $18 and the Salmon killed.

I gotta say that I have burned some serious gas and rubber shredding highway 199 in both directions. Early in the morning and after seven in the evening when there is no traffic, it is the endless roller coaster. Perfect road on a motorcycle because there is virtually no passing in a car, but on a bike you can just shift down and evaporate on 'em. While is is big fun to shredd 199... three of the worst car wrecks I have ever seen were up there. A word to the wise... curb your enthusiasm but have fun... I wish I was driving down there this time of year!

• Like 2

On 199 just North of Crescent City is Jedediah Smith State Park. There is a short walk through the giant Redwood Groves that is a mind blower really early in the morning as the coastal fog burns back. There are some great places to swim in the Smith River and dive off the rocks.

I usually stay at the Town House Motel on 101 right north of the commercial fishing harbor in the Southern part of town. It is cheap and clean. The liquor store is next door and by the time I get to Crescent City, I am burnt from driving, so I walk over to the restaurant in the Harbor. I have eaten there forty or fifty times and I can't remember what it's called, but it is a big two story building, can't miss it. Love to eat in the dining room and watch the sunset. I usually have the Salmon Special, but they have all kinds of fresh seafood... I mean the fishing fleet is a 100 feet away. The last time I was through there you get soup, salad, entree with taters or rice and coffee and ice cream for desert... all for $18 and the Salmon killed.

I gotta say that I have burned some serious gas and rubber shredding highway 199 in both directions. Early in the morning and after seven in the evening when there is no traffic, it is the endless roller coaster. Perfect road on a motorcycle because there is virtually no passing in a car, but on a bike you can just shift down and evaporate on 'em. While is is big fun to shredd 199... three of the worst car wrecks I have ever seen were up there. A word to the wise... curb your enthusiasm but have fun... I wish I was driving down there this time of year!

Perfect, this a great review. I've been through 199 a few times. Once was less than a month ago, went both directions on it. Fun road to drive. I'll be going to that park you mentioned, that's where my friends wedding will be, I think? I want to drive the Z on 199. We'll see :-)

Yeah ill be at the country fair myself, ill try and stay out of your way;)

No worries, I grew up in Veneta. Been there since 1992! So, it gets pretty crazy when all those people come to town. The real party is at night though... hehe