Dottie. A 720's story.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could, I just don't want mirrors that I can't adjust easily. I go in and out of having seats, so I would want to be able to adjust them.

Just for laws and such with red lights in the front I'm going to play dumb if I get pulled over for it, but as soon as that happens I'm sure I'm going to either black them out or switch to an amber lens on the back too. It's going to be a smidgen harder with these ones because they aren't new like my other ones. So I don't know where I would get another amber lens.

I could, I just don't want mirrors that I can't adjust easily. I go in and out of having seats, so I would want to be able to adjust them.

Makes perfect sense. Also, now that I think about it, they're probably a bit too far in on your hood to properly function as a mirror anyway.... no? They do look really nice though. And I imagine the one wire will be better than the two.... now you'll really know if a wire comes loose ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I do drive around with no seats haha.

I'd probably pick up another 720 with an l20 if it popped up and where in good condition. I just don't like the z engines, or maybe I'm just a datsun snob haha.

I will put in some racing seats when the right set come around. Watching my girl grab the door everytime I take a turn is kind of funny though.

• 4 weeks later...

absolutely awesome man! inspirational!

I have a 1985 Nissan/Datsun 720 with a z24 engine and im much like you when you started. In love with the old Japanese classics and somewhat knowledgeable about cars, but kinda hesitant to try and fix anything myself in fear of screwing it up even more. I have zero tools and need to replace all of my bushings and apparently my front suspension is leaking and they need replacing. I'm interested in lowering it too and making it a bit more of a firm ride. Any suggestions on any of the above?? ive heard there are some special tools you need to replaces ball joints? any help/advice you can offer i'd very much appreciate! im coming through Seattle on tour in a few weeks too! love that city!

-Josh

Well the best advice I can give is find a local ratsuner who knows his way around things and pay him to help you haha. Don't be afraid to start a thread asking what you want, just follow some basic courtesy rules and you will get far.

I'm not too sure about lowering an 85 720, but I have torsion bars. So I adjusted them to drop the front, and immediately got an alignment. Then in the back there is the lowering blocks. There is a thread on here that shows you where your torsion bar adjustments are. I wish I would have taken pictures but it was one of the first things I did so I wasn't keeping track of anything.

Buy a MM socket set 8-19 will do everything, and the Nissan manual.

I'm looking at front coilover conversion right now because I don't like the way my front rides, so keep an eye on my thread in the near future.

Also check out Sealiks shit thread, he does alot of good work on 720s

absolutely awesome man! inspirational!

I have a 1985 Nissan/Datsun 720 with a z24 engine and im much like you when you started. In love with the old Japanese classics and somewhat knowledgeable about cars, but kinda hesitant to try and fix anything myself in fear of screwing it up even more. I have zero tools and need to replace all of my bushings and apparently my front suspension is leaking and they need replacing. I'm interested in lowering it too and making it a bit more of a firm ride. Any suggestions on any of the above?? ive heard there are some special tools you need to replaces ball joints? any help/advice you can offer i'd very much appreciate! im coming through Seattle on tour in a few weeks too! love that city!

-Josh

So soon here me and dave will be putting the engine in my 411, which means I will have time to focus on dotties l20.

Plans are still the same. I have a .490 cam and a single outlaw carb right now, cam isn't installed yet. Looking for spray bar, dual valve springs, and some sort of intake. Among getting a head machines to handle everything an pistons forged.

I'm stoked on something I haven't even really started yet! But I've been collecting the parts waiting.

Do you guys have any suggestions for front suspension upgrades on a 720?

Mental enema- I need to fix these damn seatbelts, but I should be looking for seats instead. I work too much, 6 days a week 11 hours a day, everything is closed when I get out of work or else I'm too tired.

I had seats in here but they took up too much room and I couldn't drive. I don't want a bench because of the engine work I'm doing id like a little more stability in the cab.

Damn needy clients are vampires sucking the life out of me too. I'm a body piercer and I love what I do, always have, but right now the hordes of whiny 16 year old girls are taking the life out of me and not leaving anything for the dattos.

• 3 weeks later...

Fuck sometimes I forget how awesome WD-40 is. Hosed down all my hinges on my door before I left for work. Went to open it and almost took out the car next to me it opened so fast.

OK so I used alot of bondo when I did some repairs, but it was a learning curve as I did it. Some of you have seen my truck in person and can see that I used bondo to seal up the front behind the bumper, where the side markers used to be, and repaired a few dents. The side maker bondo job is really lumpy and I wasn't able to sand it down all the way because it keeps breaking through. But I kept working more hours and she is my daily, so I just did the best I could one night and primed.

Well I'm getting sick of being looked at like just another punk as kid with a primed 720, so I'm thinking about a matte black paint job. Going to have to sand down all the bondo I did and redo it. I know a hell of alot more about the application now than I did when I first started.

I'm keeping my eye out for a hot head. Something that can take a .490 lift cam, huge intake, so if anyone reading this has one for sale P.M. me.

• 2 months later...

Hmm I just went into this thread to bitch, and realized that that the last post I made was right before I left on the road for my birthday, in which I put fuek system cleaner in and clogged up my carb, which made my shit shut down on the highway.

Now I'm going in here to bitch that my fuel hose hasn't been hooked up all the way, something I would normally notice since I like to dig around under my hood a lot. But I just moved to a place that doesn't have a garage so I've been neglecting it.

Truck ran crappy this morning, figured the 38/38 was full of moisture. Start driving and smell fuel bad, and notice how bad my gas mileage was. Get where I'm going and open the hood. Voila, a gas spewing down my intake/exhaust manifolds.

It has smelled a little fuely for awhile and my gas mileage was getting worse so it must have wiggled its way off slowly.

Damn it I need shoulda done my every other day hose check!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd probably pick up another 720 with an l20 if it popped up and where in good condition. I just don't like the z engines, or maybe I'm just a datsun snob haha.

there are some things i like about an L motor... but i have grown to love my Z24. with a cam, weber, and port head, it gets it on... i would never say its better than any L motor though, just saying the Z motor has potential...

on another note. i like what you did with your front end. i thought about doing that too, but went a slightly different direction...

I've given consideration to some sort of LZ hybrid but I don't know about dropping it into the 720. I want to do it in something silly and way over the top rat, like a rustbucket roadster.

And my front is in desperate need of repair. I found a kit that makes a delete for the front side markers I want to use. But I like the way it looks, kinda menacing.

there are some things i like about an L motor... but i have grown to love my Z24. with a cam, weber, and port head, it gets it on... i would never say its better than any L motor though, just saying the Z motor has potential...

on another note. i like what you did with your front end. i thought about doing that too, but went a slightly different direction...