Please tell me about these A-series timing covers

brodster

I have these two media-blasted timing covers. To be straight up, I am trying to sell them, but I don't know all the details. What I think is correct, is that they are from A12 engines. I was told the one with the single notch mark is from an early A12.

Also, is that a speedo connection on the front of the old timing cover?

Finally, which engines will this fit?

Thanks for help.

timingcoverold.jpg

timingcovernew.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think somebody said the same thing about it being for a mechanical tach, but they weren't sure. I wonder if that was even stock.

Thats possible. I've only ever seen my own A15, so I'm not sure if the A12 had a mechanical tach, but I suppose the earlier probably did.

It might be for an aftermarket or Nismo mechanical tachometer -- it's right over the camshaft sprocket. None of the covers came that way from the factory.

This single-mark cover is 1966-1970:

th_timingcoverold.jpg

This mutiple-mark cover is 1971-2011 (the A15 is still in production):

th_timingcovernew.jpg

Repair manuals say the cutover was 1973, but the parts catalog says 1971. My 1972 had the new style cover and matching crank pulley.

724.JPG730.JPG

It might be for an aftermarket or Nismo mechanical tachometer -- it's right over the camshaft sprocket. None of the covers came that way from the factory.

This single-mark cover is 1966-1970:

th_timingcoverold.jpg

This mutiple-mark cover is 1971-2011 (the A15 is still in production):

th_timingcovernew.jpg

Repair manuals say the cutover was 1973, but the parts catalog says 1971. My 1972 had the new style cover and matching crank pulley.

724.JPG730.JPG

Thank you for the info.

So the timing cover will fit an A12 and A15 correct? What about the A13 and A14? I read on Wikipedia that there were some block height variations between a couple of the engines. I know on the L-20B this meant a new timing cover, but wasn't sure how this affected the A-Series.

And yeah, I read the A15 was still in production too. I had to read that twice on Wikipedia. Thought I misread that the first time.

so david, can one order a new A15 long block from Nissan - got a part #?

And since were on timing covers whats this one too, it confused me as well......its the bottom one w/o the water pump section thats odd - A10??

PICT0218.jpg