going to look at an SD22 motor + tranny

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think for the generator it will be easy to set up(probably just going to do that). Just a few levers. I have all the gauges that I would need for it. Also picked up some jerry cans from the local surplus shop to use as the fuel tank(s).

We just used starting fluid for the initial startup, After that it fired right up with no juice several times till the water line sprung a leak.

Do not overheat these engines, it can screw them up. I overheated my SD25 one night because the dash lights quit on me, I was driving down the hiway, came to my exit, when I stopped at the stop sign, steam was coming from everywhere, as it turned out, the engine was ruined because of that night, it blows smoke for 5 to 10 minutes till it warms up, it is gutless for even a 4 banger diesel, and it won't start without starting fluid anymore when it is cold(after a couple hours). The little hose on the pass. side that goes to the head from the block oil cooler behind the injection pump blew a hole, it never got hot enough to quit, but it ruined it. I will rebuild it one day as it is a SD25, they are kinda rare in the states.

Availability of parts....

I had a neighbor that owned a IH Scout with a I6 diesel.... with Nissan connections:

1976 was the first year for a diesel powered vehicle to be available in the US, it was in the Scout II! IH used the Nissan SD-33 diesel engine for fuel economy. In 1980 IH SD-33 was replaced with the SD-33T (Turbocharged) diesel engine. These Diesel Scouts were great for economy, getting 20 mpg in the city and up to 30 mpg on the highway

Seems that the SD 33 is an SD 22 with two more cylinders. I don't know production numbers, but I think it is a similar family engine as L18 and L24.

Curtis.

Availability of parts....

I had a neighbor that owned a IH Scout with a I6 diesel.... with Nissan connections:

1976 was the first year for a diesel powered vehicle to be available in the US, it was in the Scout II! IH used the Nissan SD-33 diesel engine for fuel economy. In 1980 IH SD-33 was replaced with the SD-33T (Turbocharged) diesel engine. These Diesel Scouts were great for economy, getting 20 mpg in the city and up to 30 mpg on the highway

Seems that the SD 33 is an SD 22 with two more cylinders. I don't know production numbers, but I think it is a similar family engine as L18 and L24.

Curtis.

Do not overheat these engines, it can screw them up. I overheated my SD25 one night because the dash lights quit on me, I was driving down the hiway, came to my exit, when I stopped at the stop sign, steam was coming from everywhere, as it turned out, the engine was ruined because of that night, it blows smoke for 5 to 10 minutes till it warms up, it is gutless for even a 4 banger diesel, and it won't start without starting fluid anymore when it is cold(after a couple hours). The little hose on the pass. side that goes to the head from the block oil cooler behind the injection pump blew a hole, it never got hot enough to quit, but it ruined it. I will rebuild it one day as it is a SD25, they are kinda rare in the states.

Thanks for the info, Wayno!

I know these engines are hard to come by, and I plan on using this engine properly. It was just in such good shape and clean looking(for a 30 year old diesel engine) I figured it was worth the gamble to buy it.

Monday I will change the oil, oil & fuel filters, and clean/paint the engine.

Oh.... I mean the SD family shares internals and components just as the L engine family does. Not that the SD and L families are related... "Ya gotta keep 'em separated..."

Like the SD33 crank will fit in the Z car engine making it a stroker, the SD22 crank quite possibly could fit into the R or U block gas engines making them a stroker also, I beleave this was discussed on ratsun in the past, I just don't remember what thread, or why the subject was even brought up, and I could be wrong about the specific block that was discussed for the crank.

Thanks for the info, Wayno!

I know these engines are hard to come by, and I plan on using this engine properly. It was just in such good shape and clean looking(for a 30 year old diesel engine) I figured it was worth the gamble to buy it.

Monday I will change the oil, oil & fuel filters, and clean/paint the engine.

I use "delo 400" motoroil in all my diesel engines. when you change the fuel filter, pre fill it with diesel fuel before you screw it on.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Nanaimo bars.... M-m-m-m-m-m

Thought you werent a drinker Mike :P :lol:

Ona lighter note the globe(pealer bar) brings back some funny memories(19th bday)and well you know

:lol: