My 77' 620 t0 78+ (internal) regulator nightmare :)

jimmyZ

img0234ho6.jpg

img0236yl1.jpg

sucks because I just found out this afternoon that my 20 & 24 year old girl cusins :D that I have never met (from alaska) are at my mom's and she wants me to come over and meet them before they fly home tommorrow morning. But I'm broke down, and my boss was hesitent on me bringing my worktruck home (and I don't beg) because he thinks I'm going to drink and drive or something, I don't know, even though I can drive it for work a hundred miles in a day for work. I've been with him less than a month, but what he doesn't realize is I have a better offer hitting me up, that I applied for when I got this job, and I'm starting to feel less guilty about considering it...

Anyway, I did get it started right before I left and it was not charging, died when I pulled the neg. cable.

As I said before I only have the one wire going to the alt. and that is the spliced on that is white/black (pictured).

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, so now I'm going wht/red to wht/blk, and white/blu to yellow (the method on the page I linked).

My ignition is now responding to the key properly, but still no charge (I think I may have burnt the alternator trying to run it through the regulator), so I switched to the blade connector at the bottom of the "T" on the alternator and my charge light (dash) now is on when the key is off, and off when the key is on.

I'm thinking I've got it right (with the wire back on top of the "T"), but it's a suicide run to autozone to get the new alt. ...but maybe I will run it and buy the new battery also (sucks) so that I can get home on it's power if it doesn't work out. Not to mention having to R&R this thing in the parking lot in the dark. heh

any thoughts? Dattymike you out there? I'm going to keep your hookup in mind in case this one doesn't work. I definately know that white to yellow is no good though, because as I said, it turns my ignition on (permanently).

Quoted from the other thread just for reference:

It should also be noted that my white/black has been spliced before the female end (that connects to the regulator plug) and runs to the alternator, the only wire that was hooked up to the alternator, (I don't even know where the other end that goes into the harness is)and I believe it was hooked up to the post marked "Y" on your graphic (top of the T) but I'm not sure (it may have been hooked to the other post, I know, I'm a mess).

because I'm not sure that the blk/white is SUPPOSED to be run to the alternators "T", although it did charge that way before, but I'm just not sure that this is not the problem that is causing the trouble.

Oh man... that's a nightmare.

First... Do you have the original truck plug??? the '77 Z car plug uses at least two different color wires than the truck one.

Looking into the Z car plug start at 12 o'clock and go around clockwise and tell me the colors of the wires. The plug has a notch to properly mate it to the female one on the regulator, start there and go around.

Cousins from Alaska??? 20 and 24??? Why are you messing with wires ... get home!!!:D:D:D

Oh man... that's a nightmare.

First... Do you have the original truck plug??? the '77 Z car plug uses at least two different color wires than the truck one.

Looking into the Z car plug start at 12 o'clock and go around clockwise and tell me the colors of the wires. The plug has a notch to properly mate it to the female one on the regulator, start there and go around.

Cousins from Alaska??? 20 and 24??? Why are you messing with wires ... get home!!!:D:D:D

Dude that what I'm saying!!! LOL. BUt I don't live at my mom's and that's why I need my **** to run!

Yeah, it is the original plug (got to be) ...what I am saying is that the colors do line up the same as that Z's though.

so it's:

1 white/red

2 white

3 yellow

4 black

5 white/black

6 white/blue

...the only reason I haven't made the suicide run yet is because I am dead on my feet and I'm trying to work up the strength/will, also wish I was a little more confident about my bypass.

Ok, so my mom just told me that the one cuz is pregnant (I asked if they were "chubby" LOL), but the other is really cute and tiny, she said she probably weighs 90 lbs. :eek: LOL. Oh and supposedly while they were in Vegas, before they came here, they had a few drinks with my uncle who was also there at the time(assuming not the preggo one), ...so apparently she parties. heh. btw, most of my cousins are really hot, so... (not that I'd do anything weird or anything ;))

this sucks...

so it's:

1 white/red

2 white

3 yellow

4 black

5 white/black

6 white/blue

Perfect, that agrees with my wiring diagram for the '77 620 truck.

OK:

Just take the connector and jumper the White and Yellow wires together, then jumper the White/Black wire to the White/Blue wire. That should do it. (at that end)

You still need the connections at the alternator including the T shaped plug.

The A terminal (White wire) on the alternator, goes to the + battery terminal.

The E terminal (Black wire) on the alternator, goes to ground.

The N vertical terminal (White/Black wire) on the plastic plug, goes to the regulator plug.

The F horizontal terminal (Yellow wire) on the plastic plug, goes to the regulator plug.

Perfect, that agrees with my wiring diagram for the '77 620 truck.

OK:

Just take the connector and jumper the White and Yellow wires together, then jumper the White/Black wire to the White/Blue wire. That should do it. (at that end)

You still need the connections at the alternator including the T shaped plug.

The A terminal (White wire) on the alternator, goes to the + battery terminal.

The E terminal (Black wire) on the alternator, goes to ground.

The N vertical terminal (White/Black wire) on the plastic plug, goes to the regulator plug.

The F horizontal terminal (Yellow wire) on the plastic plug, goes to the regulator plug.

well I guess I have posted too much, TMDR :), so that you didn't read all that I had said.

When I put the white and the yellow together the ignition turns on ...and stays on... it's not right.

so, I'm going to try the way I got it wht/red to wht/blk, and white/blu to yellow, and right now I'm going to make the autozone run. I finally got the time to do it.

my boss came around the next day about me taking the truck home (actually kind of an interesting story, and I do mean "kind of", so I'll spare you), and I did meet the cuzins for a brief period, although not exactly my hottest cousins, they were sweet. And the one did say she would send me some fish :), so... But not going to be able to trust my mom's call on cuteness so much anymore though LOL, she's usually pretty acurate (usually non-cousins, you sickos, heh).

finally got it. 1:15 AM...

Just one wire though (wht/red to wht/blk, or just wht/red straight to the alternator in my case), but it's charging, and interestingly enough, the idiot light seems to be functioning correctly as well.

Tired now, must sleep, work tommorrow... thanks again for the help guys. I'm going to try to figure out the other wire later (if I even need it).