setting choke on 32/36

jon521

I have a 71 521 L16 with a weber 32/36 carb, and i just recent bought a electric choke for it and installed it. I'm having trouble setting the choke though and was wondering what other people have done with it? and yes i did try and read up on it but i could not find anything on setting the choke. On the stock carb i noticed that it only had a choke plate over the primary, but my weber has choke plates over both, should i take it on the secondary? Would it even make a difference since my secondary doesnt open when starting it? Right? I'm quite lost on setting the choke, so anything helps! thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why you put a electric on there? I nbelieve the 72s had the wire for the choke.

I would have put a manual choke on there.

yes if covers both on a weber.

if you want to adjust. you turn it and try it out. I never could get it right my self as they stay on too long or not long enough. I think the real eleltric choke version have a kick down linkage. But Im not positive as I dont have one of these.

Ya I have the kick down linkage, but it wouldnt kick down and it would idle really high when i was just driving around, but i think i figured that out. its just starting it cold it has problems. it sounds like i will just have to mess with it. i was just wondering where other people have there choke plates at and how much tension is on it.

Ya I have the kick down linkage, but it wouldnt kick down and it would idle really high when i was just driving around, but i think i figured that out. its just starting it cold it has problems. it sounds like i will just have to mess with it. i was just wondering where other people have there choke plates at and how much tension is on it.

I don't have a weber, but to set mine (when it was working) - on a cold engine turn the choke until the plate just closes.

Make sure you have a full 12v going to it and not off the coil if you use a ballast resistor.

My choke fully opened after about 45 - 55 seconds depending how cold it was.

If it has a kick down it will idle high until you mash the gas after the choke element is hot.

I also don't know if the weber uses a thermal vacuum valve to open the choke quicker on hot days or not.

So I guess im not much help on the weber. Patients and persistence will win out.

You adjust the weber electric choke exactly as you adjust a hitachi electric choke, both have kickdowns and fast idle adjustement. Fast idle for Datsuns is normally up to 2200 RPM, but I like to set it about 1400 RPM.

Just like kgrantkey says, after cooling down all night, turn the choke until it just barely closes all the way. You will have to hold the throttle open a little while doing this.

The secondary does not have a choke, it has a butterfly valve on top which is similar looking. Don't worry about that.

You adjust the weber electric choke exactly as you adjust a hitachi electric choke, both have kickdowns and fast idle adjustement. Fast idle for Datsuns is normally up to 2200 RPM, but I like to set it about 1400 RPM.

Just like kgrantkey says, after cooling down all night, turn the choke until it just barely closes all the way. You will have to hold the throttle open a little while doing this.

The secondary does not have a choke, it has a butterfly valve on top which is similar looking. Don't worry about that.

i did that this morning, set it and everything seemed good, started up and the high idle warmed it up, kicked it down to the low idle. but after i had driven it a bit, i noticed, at a stop, my high idle had come back on?

So what is causing the high idle? Remove the air cleaner and see if the choke is fully opened. If it is not, figure out why. Maybe you don't have the choke connected to 12V, some guys connect it to the coil but when using a ballast resistor this won't be 12V.

I has a similar problem last winter, and it was caused by a thing on the carburetor that was loose.

So what is causing the high idle? Remove the air cleaner and see if the choke is fully opened. If it is not, figure out why. Maybe you don't have the choke connected to 12V, some guys connect it to the coil but when using a ballast resistor this won't be 12V.

I has a similar problem last winter, and it was caused by a thing on the carburetor that was loose.

ya tightened my linkage before i even installed my choke. i wired it to my fuse box to a wire that only had power with the key on. i checked and i have 12v with the key on at the choke itself. like i said earlier, i positioned my choke just like you said this morning, started it up on the high idle circuit, kicked it down, and then after driving it the idle went up. when i got home, i left it running and i looked at the high idle screw. it was touching the "choke cam" (im not sure what to call it), but anyways it was on the high idle circuit so i pulled the air filter, the plates were slightly open. I pushed on the plates to open them more with my finger and then tapped the gas, which kicked it down to the low idle circuit. i took my hand off the plates and tapped the gas again, and it went back to the high idle.

its like it wont go to the high idle when its cold, so i have to adjust it, then i will warm it up,kick it down to the low idle, then ill drive it and it will go back on the high idle while i am driving. like after work today, i couldnt get the high idle to come on to warm it up, and i didnt want to bother adjusting it, so i just kept my foot on the pedal to warm it up, but by the time i got home it was on the high idle? i need help haha........

That is the 'fast idle cam', and it's activate by the choke linkage.

I remember now the problem I had was just like your symptoms. It turned out to be the idle speed (not the fast idle) screw stopper was loose.

But if you have no mechanical problems, your choke bi-metallic element may be worn out. A new one would fix that problem, or swap one from an old Hitachi. But first I'd make sure that when engine is cold, it is turned just enough to close the choke when you open the throttle slightly -- not "and a little more". It is a fine adjustment.

Anyways I've adjusted dozens of Datsun auto chokes and always got them to work right. Never seen a worn-out Hitachi choke yet, but the Ford units often wore out.

i will check my low idle screw, and i do have a brand new choke i ordered off redline. ya it just doesnt make sense that it wont come on when its cold, then i will come on when its warm. but i will keep trying....

thanks tho, it really nice to talk to someone who has done it and gotten it right before!