LZ24 questions?

joewood

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turning a z24 into an LZ is more work than the LZ22 is.

Timing cover needs to be lengthened, as well as the chain.

All the L heads are pretty much all the same, so that is a non-issue.

Whether you plan on running an open A87, U67, W58, or god-forbid a 210.

Not to mention, the length of the entire assembly is so tall, clearance of the hood may be needed.

You might want to find a Z22 block for yourself. An LZ22 is quite the monster of an engine.

Timing cover needs to be lengthened, as well as the chain.

Not to mention, the length of the entire assembly is so tall, clearance of the hood may be needed.

i have a modified (not lengthened) cover avail, and a used chain.

im not sure the Z head is taller the the L head... if the Z24 was stock, you shouldnt need a tumor pounded into the hood (or modify the Xmember) to fit.

since i just got a canadian Z24 block, ill be putting mine back together.

w/a U67 it ran great on 87, better on 91.

I looked into this with for my boss's roadster, and found the same information everyone is giving you, the height of the naps z24 is taller, so the z20 and z22 blocks are a better choice since no welding on the timing cover is required. Keep in mind you still will need engine block-forward (timing cover, chain set, gears,ect) to be all L series stuff, and most of the time you will need to add extra coolant ports and a few other things to do the L head to Z block.

One thing I was looking into was boring out a Z20S block to fit the slightly larger Z24 pistons so I would have more selection for forged pistons to choose from, still researching that, not sure if that is an option, but I am sure there is other trickery to get more displacement from the smaller Z series blocks without going to a taller engine like the z24.

At any rate, I know the LZ22 can be a potent motor, so even if you "settle" for that, it will still be fun...and if you want to bite the bullet on the LZ24, be prepared for some custom fabrication and time...but the end result is always neat.