clutch kit set up on a L20B help!

sam

Ok I have a l20b six bolt and I wanted to know if I could use my 240sx light weight flywheel and clutch setup on that L20B with a A87 head. If I can would I just use all my 240sx clutch and flywheel and throw out bearing with my 5 speed swap out of my Z . Please I need tips and help. Oh the existing flywheel is a six bolt 12 inches long.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's good question, I think it will. Check the engine side of it for a 'nub' that lines it up on the KA motor. I have a KA crank and it has something sticking out between the threaded bolt holes. ZX trannys will bolt to the KA so the clutch should work. Definitely use the bearing and collar from the sx.

What size is the clutch.... 240mm?

Wait a 280z flywheel is 240 and the 240sx is. 225 I beloved

At least that is what I was told. So the inevitable has is suppose to be a 225mm . So are you saying that my l20b can use my 240sx set up and be finer with the 280 zzz tranny

Wait a 280z flywheel is 240 and the 240sx is. 225 I beloved

At least that is what I was told. So the inevitable has is suppose to be a 225mm . So are you saying that my l20b can use my 240sx set up and be finer with the 280 zzz tranny

I thought I answered that:

That's good question, I think it will. Check the engine side of it for a 'nub' that lines it up on the KA motor. I have a KA crank and it has something sticking out between the threaded bolt holes. ZX trannys will bolt to the KA so the clutch should work. Definitely use the bearing and collar from the sx.

What size is the clutch.... 240mm?

All six bolts will 'fit'. Some pressure plates are a little 'stronger' than others with more clamping force. The truck 225mm ones are 550 kg. I imagine the KA 225mm are at least that amount. Then there is the flywheel weight. I have seen 29 and 21 pounds for the same 225mm and 240mm. flywheels. Four cylinder wheels tend to be heavier to store more kinetic energy to get the vehicle moving from a stop. Six cylinders tend to be lighter because the engines have two extra cylinders and more rotating mass.

The L20B is only 100 hp so no need for monster flywheel and clutch.

The real question is that if I wanted better and more performance for Autocross, would I be better off doing the aluminum flywheel or it would be better just stay with stock one and making it lighter . Also if I stayed with the aluminum would my car vibrate when I'm cruising like 65 because the fly wheel is so light and doeanthave any momentum. I have done research but nothing comes out with any l20b or any Datsuns four bangers, just wants some good pointers to get the most out of my 100 HP lol or more. I know the aluminum would help on the quick revs but would it slow me down to start off on dead atop? Thank you so much tho

A regular flywheel requires power to spin it up with the rest of the engine. Nothing goes to waste because this extra spinning mass is useful to help get a heavy car moving from a stop. City driving is much easier with a 'heavy' flywheel. A lightened flywheel stores much less power and the energy saved can be used to accelerate a car. A lightened flywheel is best used in a vehicle that does not stop (like racing or autoX). Driving a 'light' flywheel requires more revving and slipping the clutch to get a car moving from a stop. Lightened flywheels, like spoilers and slotted and drilled rotors, are another racing modification that doesn't really translate very well for use on the street. Shaving a few pounds off can help accelerate a car but not make it undrivable on the street. Some find 15 lbs about right, others say lower so it's a matter of what suits you.

Fidanza makes aluminum flywheels about 350$-380

If you use a stock lighten one you better get it balanced so no vibration.

Nothing wrong with a 225mm just they weigh alot.

Daiken makes performance 225mm pressure plates.

importrp.com has a listing of these. Make sure you use the correct T/O bearing and collar.

and also SPEC brand listings.

I have a 10pounder in my 510 and its fine for q daily driver but its a 200mm and I use a Roadster P/P.

ok so a roadster p/p with a 200mm flywheel and im guessing roadster clutch works good on your 510. mmmmmm the thing is that I have a l20b block so i have to go with a 6 bolt flywheel , dang im stuck in a hard position. well t/o bearing would be a Z one since i have a Z tranny . i just planned on using my 240sx clutch set up and flywheel , i have this same setup i was goig to use on my 240sx but never got to it http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/XTD-STAGE-3-CLUTCH-FLYWHEEL-89-99-240SX-KA24DE-KA24E-/380343374099?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588e3b5113 let me know what you all think , again thank you for the advice . really helping me to learn more ! :)