Timing the motor

Redd

any good write ups on timing the motor in the 620? I have a haynes manual but hate the damn things.... Motor work is nothing new to me.. was a tech for 4 years at chevy and built my motor in my lightning... Just like to have something to fall back on in case i loose it haha

Im going to start trying to figure out whats up with the motor... It cranks but dosent fire.. I have spark... Gotta check on the fuel... but tomorow is the first day of working on her:cool:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When i was re-doing my L 18 i used the Chiltons manual which was helpful. I also have the Hainz DVD which helps cause you can actually see how to set the timing, TDC etc...Somebody posted a web adress of the Hainz DVD but i cant find it. Or go to http://www.the620.com in the tech. section. Mklotz scanned an entire L series service manual thats helpful.

First, I'll assume the head gasket was changed and the cylinders have good compression and that the carb has gas by looking down it and pumping the pedal and seeing a strong squirt from the accelerator pump.

We need to get the motor to TDC on the compression stroke.

one: take the #1 plug out and stick finger over hole and have someone you trust bump the starter a little at a time. On the up swing of the compression stroke the air will push out past your finger...STOP. Look down at the timing mark indicator (pass side beside the crank pulley) while turning the 27mm bolt on the front of the crank clockwise with a wrench. (disconnect coil!!!) The rim of the pulley closest the engine will have a small notch that must be lined up with the 0 (zero) on the timing indicator. Align while turning in a clockwise direction even if you have to back up and try again. You are now at TDC compression. OR:

two: remove valve cover and turn engine clockwise until the #1 valves are closed and cam lobes are both pointing up. By turning the crank forward or back, locate the pulley notch and bring it into alignment with the 0 moving in a clockwise direction to keep the timing chain tight. You are at TDC compression.

Remove distributor cap and check that the rotor is pointing to, (roughly) the 4 o'clock position as viewed from the driver's side fender. Make absolutely sure that the wire in the cap above the rotor goes to the #1 plug, the next wire in a counter clockwise direction or the 2 o'clock position, should go to the #3 plug then #4 and last #2.

Check this first, give plenty of gas, and it should run. It's remotely possible that when the head was off the cam was turned and is now out of alignment with the rest of the motor, or wasn't put at TDC before removing the head and in the confusion is now out a tooth. We'll check that later.

Guest DatsuNoob

I couldn't hardly find my timing mark either. I had to have someone bump the starter while I wiped away about 20 years worth of grease and road grime off the pulley. Once I located the notch, I put a spot of my girlfriends red nail polish on it, now I have a red dot as a reference for my timing indicator. Just make sure you're running at 10 degrees and you cant really go wrong.