WTB: 5 speed Shifter

I am looking for a shifter for my 5 speed transmission swap in my '71 510 wagon. The transmission came out of a 200sx, but I was told any 5 speed shifter would work. I have been looking for a 280z shifter with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Kyle

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

any L series shifter will work.

that includes 510s, 620s, 1970-1983 Z cars and any other L powered datsun you find in the yard.

(the only exception to that is the 82-83 280zx turbo 5 speed, its a BW T5 trans)

Actually, there are 2 different shifters that came with the L series. There is the standard style with the 2 ears and swivel socket at the bottom, and there is the 4-speed "monkey motion" style. You'll be looking for the 2 ear style with the swivel.

"Monkey Motion"

transshortF4W634spd.jpg

2 year/swivel socket

5speedfor710goon010Large.jpg

This is the style of shifter you're looking for:

5speedfor710goon005Large.jpg

Glad they got away from that design.. not my favorite.

Sorry OP :blush:

/threadjack

Thats alright. It is needed information. If you were talking about who won American Idol or something like that it would be different. I need the shifter with the two ears. So if anyone has one I am in need of one. I got a donor car i am taking parts off of (73 wagon), but it has the 4 speed "monkey shifter." I nabbed the pedal box out of it along with the master and slave cylinder. Might take the brake power booster too. It's my first dime and I love this little car. It has its rust, but it doesn't bother me a whole lot.

Thats alright. It is needed information. If you were talking about who won American Idol or something like that it would be different. I need the shifter with the two ears. So if anyone has one I am in need of one. I got a donor car i am taking parts off of (73 wagon), but it has the 4 speed "monkey shifter." I nabbed the pedal box out of it along with the master and slave cylinder. Might take the brake power booster too. It's my first dime and I love this little car. It has its rust, but it doesn't bother me a whole lot.

kinda off subject but...........whats this 73 wagon? is it a 710 model or something? as they never made a 73 510 4 door or wagon espicially with power brakes just wundering

kinda off subject but...........whats this 73 wagon? is it a 710 model or something? as they never made a 73 510 4 door or wagon espicially with power brakes just wundering

Not sure. My buddy bought it for the L18 and is letting me use whatever I need before he scraps it. Might be a 710. I am not real familiar yet with all the model numbers. Give me a few months to get caught up, its my first datsun.

On another note I bought a shifter off of ebay that I think is going to work. It was out of a 240z. It was only 20 bux so I figured I would give it a try. They title said it was a S30 240z Layback shifter. Hope it works.

They came in the 521's and 510's... I'm not sure if they made it into the 620's. They were the older 4 speeds that went with the L-series(4 cylinders, atleast).

They did. The F4W63 Monkey Motion shifter was used on the '72- Sept.'73 620 with the L16 engine. From October on, and with the 'new' L18, the F4W71B was used.

All 610 and 710s had this shifter with L18s or L20Bs. The A10 (HL510) had it too.

73 with L18 should be a 610

Ted I think there was a late '73 Hardtop 710 with L18. Sedan and goon '74s were also L18.

• 3 months later...

Actually, there are 2 different shifters that came with the L series. There is the standard style with the 2 ears and swivel socket at the bottom, and there is the 4-speed "monkey motion" style. You'll be looking for the 2 ear style with the swivel.

If they're all the same except for the monkey motion~ why are these two different lengths?

If they're all the same except for the monkey motion~ why are these two different lengths?

These two are actually from an '80 or newer B type 4 or 5 speed. They probably will work in the earlier 4 and 5 speed B type. HOWEVER will they work in a dogleg??? The dogleg uses the same pivot pin an plastic bushings as the B type, whether the B shifter will actually fit I don't know but will check tomorrow.

The shifter on the left will have a much shorter throw than the one on the right.

OK....on the FS5W63A dogleg, I fit the 720 shifter with the large side plastic bushings and the hole didn't line up for the pin ..

doglegshiftoptions002Large.jpg

....so I flipped the two bushing halves and the internal spring upside-down and it worked...

doglegshiftoptions003Large.jpg

Last I tried a shifter from an earlier B type, probably a 620. Both types fit and worked.

doglegshiftoptions004Large.jpg

So the bushings are reversible, eh? Cool~ now my quest for clutch/trans parts cane move on to better things...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.