F4W63 transmission

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an F4W63 for L series motor. It's 26" long, speedo on driver's side, is fom a 76 710 and has 55K miles (has miles per hour) on it. The car is originally from Nevada and I'm the 4th owner. It was brought up and left here to be used when the owners came up camping for the summer.

I had started rebuilding it so now have whole bunch of new parts. When I was pressing in the new rear main bearing I broke the housing, which I've found to be very dificult to find a new one. I had planned on a little different set up for the 1st gear bearing as I couldn't find the stock one but it seems I'm hooped anyway. I want the 4spd particularly for the short length since I want to keep the mods/amount of work to a minimum.

This is for an L series F4W63? Try Nissan dealer.

1st gear ............................... 32230 73201...... about $150

Rear mainshaft bearing.......... 32273 36900....... about $25

Rear bearing retainer............. 32138 A0900...... about $12

To find a first gear and the bearing retainer just get a junk F4W63 from a 521, 510, early 620, 610, 710 or A10. These are very common 4 speeds and usually thrown away for 5 speeds.

I guess just not too common around here as I've had ads in all the local classifieds and the local wreckers only carry cars 20yrs old or newer. The pickn pull in kelowna is about an hour half drive away so a little out of the way for frequent checks and have you tried the online inventory thingy?..what a joke. My local Nissan dealer couldn't be less helpful but I will try kelowna's dealer. Thanks for the tips and the part numbers.

• 8 months later...

does the F4W63 fit the Datsun 411 SSS aswell. it's the 1.6 / R16 engine. Excuse my ignorance, as I'm just getting into the datsun scene. I bought my 67 a while ago, and the syncros are bad. I have to be really tricky when i shift into first, or into second. I've also liked the idea of them dog-legg shifting styles. So hopefully something fits what I got. I dotn know if the bellhousings match up or what. And i'm in need of some help.. anything is appreciated. thanks, guys.

Datzenmike,

Longshot but idk ... for sure... ( i have no idea)

What is the compatability of first gear from a 1971 series 1 240z transmission ( fixed. Not easily removed shifter bushing at the rear tail housing style ... type a 4spd... ) please? Also the rear housing?

If so ... i have one on the input shaft still laying around. ( i only use it for the input shaft to line up transmissions.... i have the rear housing as well i believe ... just have to rummage

Thankyou

There are several F4W63 transmissions out there. The application depends on the motor it bolts to. They were used on the L, J and the R series (at least) and there were short (510) and long (610) The 411 SSS will need a F4W63 with a bell housing bolt pattern that will fit the R16 and with the starter on the driver's side.

Probably this one?

R-16and4speedF4W63.jpg

Datzenmike,

Longshot but idk ... for sure... ( i have no idea)

What is the compatability of first gear from a 1971 series 1 240z transmission ( fixed. Not easily removed shifter bushing at the rear tail housing style ... type a 4spd... ) please? Also the rear housing?

If so ... i have one on the input shaft still laying around. ( i only use it for the input shaft to line up transmissions.... i have the rear housing as well i believe ... just have to rummage

Thankyou

'71 240z first gear? Compatible to what?

I believe it's an F4W71A tranny with the removable bell housing on the front.. Looks like the Roadster tranny but with an L bell on it. It would look similar to this one...

FS5C71AoptiontwoLseries.jpg

Strangely the early 240z ratios are the same as the F4W63 4 speed in the 510. But the similarities stop there. No internal parts will swap.(I think)

I believe it's an F4W71A tranny with the removable bell housing on the front.. Looks like the Roadster tranny but with an L bell on it. It would look similar to this one...

FS5C71AoptiontwoLseries.jpg

Strangely the early 240z ratios are the same as the F4W63 4 speed in the 510. But the similarities stop there. No internal parts will swap.(I think)

Thankyou datzenmike! Yup i snagged the bellhousing for my engine test stand lol.

That's the one! Oh! Lol ... i had these parts laying around. Worth a shot!

Sorry OP :)

There are several F4W63 transmissions out there. The application depends on the motor it bolts to. They were used on the L, J and the R series (at least) and there were short (510) and long (610) The 411 SSS will need a F4W63 with a bell housing bolt pattern that will fit the R16 and with the starter on the driver's side.

Probably this one?

R-16and4speedF4W63.jpg

hey thanks a lot for the help!! I cant wait to be drivin this pup again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.