KA24E in my 720. Now with less spark!

Bush

So to start this is what Im working on" 720 build thread". The cliff's notes of it. 84 720. Ka24e swap. Can/am box. I had it running a couple weeks ago, but the timing chain was slapping around a bit, guides were shot I needed to drop the oil pan anyway to pull 3/4" out of the middle of it for ground clearance, so I got a timing chain kit and went buck-wild. While it was apart, I decided to swap heads with another head I had lying around (mine had a mucked up exhaust bolt).

So its back together. Both different colored links on the timing chain line up with their respective dimples in the gears. The distributor points to 1. everything spins appropriately. The problem is I have no spark. well, thats a lie. if I cycle the ignition switch between acc and run it will make a lone arc at the coil wire. But thats it. I didnt monkey with any of the can/am wiring, and all the diagnostic lights on it are a go, as well as the wires appear to be hooked up right. the only wiring i did anything with was the engine harness, and i just unhooked the plugs on the harness and layed it on the windshield, then dropped it back down and hooked it back up.

What did I hook up wrong here? I stared at it for a couple hours trying to find a break in a wire or a missed ground, but everything seem to be accounted for . Any ideas?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you pull a plug wire off and put an old plug in the end and lay on the valve cover and crank the motor there is NO spark at all??

To eliminate the ignition switch make a jumper wire from the battery to the positive terminal of both coils.

Crank angle sensor (didn't see that.)

list of things to check:

1. Are the CAN/AM lights staying on while you crank the engine?

2. Use a LED to test injector pulse. If there is no injector pulse and no spark it's a bad Dizzy 99% of the time.

3. check power at the Dizzy. black with white stripe. while in run and cranking.

4. check power at coil. in run position and while cranking.

5. check ECU codes.

6. Two ground wires on intake mani. VERY IMPORTANT!

Well, I poked at it for an hour. And I'm a moron. I had the plug for the disributor 90% plugged in. The last 10% is what really count tho. I clicked it and cranked it over and she fired right up. I missed the distributor gear by a tooth. so, i need to pull it apart and try that again. But dammit it fires every time i crank it now. Hooty-Hoo!