Thinking about selling L16 and 4 speed trans

cfount

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I started looking around for a replacement L16 just over a week ago here's what I've come across:

- Free running L16 from buddy

- Free shortblock from stranger

- $300 for a 10yr old rebuilt L16 with less than 100 mile (what the seller said) with stock 4-speed

-$250 L20b disassembled but complete

-$350 L16 runner local guy

A few other leads to follow up with but that'll give you an idea, oh and I'm in Nor Cal.

...but have no idea what they would be worth...starts right up and seems to run well...any advice on value or if anyone would want...

Many thanks,

If it's in the car and can be seen running or can be driven to test it and the 4 speed.... that's a plus. It all comes down to supply and demand. In Oregon a running L16 is worth very little and stock 4 speeds are thrown away. A running and swapable L16 in Wisconsin? would be quite rare. Someone wanting one would also be rare. A Datsun owner with money....is rare. The larger the distance between the seller and buyer the lower the price that's willing to be paid.

So the decision is how much bother is it to load up and take somewhere for scrap if it does not sell? Can you just leave it behind the shed and forget about it? Would you rather see someone take it away who can use it instead of scrapping it or letting it rot away behind the shed? At the least charge what you might get for scrap.

Since I started looking around for a replacement L16 just over a week ago here's what I've come across:

- Free running L16 from buddy

- Free shortblock from stranger

- $300 for a 10yr old rebuilt L16 with less than 100 mile (what the seller said) with stock 4-speed

-$250 L20b disassembled but complete

-$350 L16 runner local guy

A few other leads to follow up with but that'll give you an idea, oh and I'm in Nor Cal.

Thanks guys...and that is sort of what I figured...I can certainly just put it aside...but would rather get it to someone who could make use of it. It is in the car for a bit longer (days), before it is pulled for a swap...have videos of running...so if you know anyone in WI who could give her a good home for wicked cheap...

Thanks again

And...I am far far less knowledgable about these engines than EVERYONE on this forum...This is my first datsun, and I bought it knowing that I would swap the engine (so my learning curve has been focused there)...but...for reference...this is the engine from the car I bought from dat620guy that skib built before (the thread is still here somewhere)...so if there are specific things from there that anyone would be interested in...I would really like to see them put to use as well...

Thanks guys...and that is sort of what I figured...I can certainly just put it aside...but would rather get it to someone who could make use of it.

That means in the Datsun world you pull it , Deliever it as it will sits in the other guys yard waiting for a the guy thinking about a KA/SR install.

I like L16 myself great motor to learn on and get you there