ka to l-series trans

Beginer

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the transmissions to the Datsun L-series engines bolt up to the ka-series engines. This is one of the few things I haven't been able to find. Any help on this would be helpful, thanks.

Seriously doubt it. MAYBE the Z series with an L bell housing, but I'm not only %25 sure on this one.

Z and L bellhousing pattern is the same, only the tilt differs.

Certainly you can swap the front case to fit one Nissan transmission to a different engine. But is this necessary? I thought the KA also used the same bolt pattern.

Do the transmissions to the Datsun L-series engines bolt up to the ka-series engines. This is one of the few things I haven't been able to find. Any help on this would be helpful, thanks.

All L series 4 and 5 speed standards and 3 speed automatics will physically bolt up to the Z series and the KA series motors. Just saying they will bolt to the KA. Some L series transmissions are too small to clear the KA's larger pressure plate. On top of and more important the L series motor is mounted leaning over to the right compared to the Z series and the KA, so an L tranny will have to rotate to the left to align the bolts with the motor. This will rotate the shifter to the left and into the driver's hip and the tranny rubber mount won't bolt up.

Maybe you should say what you are trying to do.

its not a direct bolt up but you can make it work.

I know its been covered at HybridZ.org, try searching around the L6 section over there

Perfect fit (to the motor), but the FS5W71C KA tranny is stronger.

I'll have to find one locally from one of the drifters and see if I can test fit it cool.gif

Is it a 1977-1979 200sX? You could use the rare shorty 71C transmission, and fit the longer KA transmission front cover to it.

Or for a 1980-1983 200sX, it might be the same length. Then it just bolt in.

Fabricating a transmission mount is one of the easier things. I just used plate metal, hacksaw, bolts and spacers. Some guys use flat plate for new crossmember instead of a new mount. I would be more worried abaout the shifter hole. If the transmissions are different length, the shifter will be forward or back from the original.

It's a 78, making new mounts always sounded like a more difficult thing to do, but if it is more like a one or two day job I might be able to do it. And if anyone knows a rough idea of how much engine, manual trans, and ecu would cost that would be helpful.

Guest kamakazi620

Are the Z and early KA 5 speeds the same length?

No but you can use a 720 z24 shorty trans with ka or swap the bell with l series for a shoty 5speed