weber 32/36 kits?

mikec

i am due for bi-annual smog, and want to finally get an aftermarket carb on my z24. i see kits for around $300. are these pretty complete? decent deal?

i see similar dgev webers on cl for half the price, but is the 'kit' any useful?

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get a smog-legal kit down there? Most I see are "Not legal in California", since they aren't CARB-certified. Since they do an underhood inspection, not only does it have to pass the tailpipe sniffer but it has to visually be purely stock. The only exceptions are CARB-certified, and I don't know of one for an '85.

The kit generally comes with the adapter plate (s) and filter. That's the big issue, it's next to impossible to get a stock air cleaner to work on the Weber, especially with the NAPS-Z since the air cleaner bolts to the valve cover. You'd have a serious alignment issue since the Weber ALONE is taller than the Hitachi, plus add in the height of the base adapter AND a possible air cleaner adapter, the filter housing won't bolt down (and might hit the hood anyway). Plus an '85 had a feedback carb that was controlled via an ECU.

• Like 1

my point is that i won't need smog for another two years, so now is the time to get it done. why do i need to use the stock filter housing? does the weber filter really sit that much higher? can't the feedback be bypassed, or will it throw the ecu?

• Like 1

Shouldn't be any issues with hood clearance in the 720 with the Weber and air cleaner.

Even the Z22 with the 2 IM plates will fit.

Had to use my Weber air cleaner for my Z24 EFI airbox...soooo...made the stock air cleaner fit.... :D

7.jpg

P1030009.jpg

• Like 1

I guess modding the stock air cleaner eliminates the need for the air cleaner adapter (I've seen one, they're 2" tall).

OK, so you make the mods and get the Weber on there... then in 2 years what do you do?

Since I've never owned a truck with a feedback carb I don't know what it'll do; I think the ECU controls the carb based on O2 sensor readings so it won't do anything. Maybe turn on a check engine light?

• Like 1

The best parts of the kit is that it contains the correct linkage. Without it you can:

* purchase a linkage kit from RedlineWeber.com

* OR, you can unbolt the stock Hitachi cable quadrant and bolt it to the Weber. That just leaves fabricating a cable bracket.

Some guys fit the stock air cleaner to pass a simple visual inspection -- to make it look stock. But there is no technical reason to require the stock cleaner. One potential benefit is you can keep the stock heated air intake which is good for cold climates below 40 degrees.

The feedback is part of the Hitachi carburetor. Once you remove the Hitachi, there's no 'feedback' left to bypass.

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

You can use the stock air cleaner on your weber ,this is what i did,purchase the adapter,believe it is Redline part # ending in 301,this adapter fits on top of the weber,it has a 3 in. opening that fits the air cleaner perfectly.Now at this point the hood will NOT CLOSE,this is what i did.I cut aproximatly 3/8 off the Bottom of the adaptor. To lower the adaptor more, on the inside of the adaptor in the top 4 corners where the bolts come threw grind the corners till they clear the top of the carb,now the adaptor is sitting flat on the top of the carb.At this point the choke plate will not open,so mark with a marker where the choke plate hits and do some grinding on the adaptor.Now to to fill the gap and seal the adaptor to the top of carb i got a piece of 1/4 in neopreme sillicone rubber and made a perfect gasket by tracing the gasket that came with the kit and cut out the rubber one.Where the air cleaner mounts to the valve cover i needed a 1/2 in spacer under the brackets,can not get it down low enough to be perfect. It does still hit the hood but not by much,on the inside of my hood there is the 1/2 insulation pad so it does not come in contact with the bare hood,hood still closes very easy.Also No Wing Nut used a bolt with washers and rubber to seal the hole, use the clips to hold down the top.Hope this helps  UPDATE,i removed the air cleaner ,flip it upside down ,there is a rubber seal with a 3/8 lip remove the seal and flip it around,now the lip is on top of the hole  alowing air cleaner to come down even more, no need for spacers to bolt it to the valvcover,now the air cleaner barely brushes the insulation under the hood, hood closes very easy

• Like 1

I have a Non Legal Weber 32/36 DGEV that I purchased from Pierce Manifolds for my 86 720 king cab.  I live in Phoenix and have to pass emissions every 2 years.  I have all the smog stuff operational except air cleaner which I use the washable filter that comes in the Weber kit.

As far as feed back I cut off all the wires except the blue one for the choke.  I ran the fuel Line same as the stock carb.  when I get done with emissions I plug off all the Vacuum lines except the distributor advance.

One thing I noticed when they are checking things under the hood is they check for vacuum at the EGR valve.

I do not know the CA emission laws.