Drip rail opinions

94fd3s

Ok so I picked up another 510 this weekend. One of the previous owners decided to start shaving the corner lights, door handles, and the drip rail. They only did the driver side before they stopped. The rear corner light I can fix. I plan on getting a door and front fender because they are dented anyway. My only concern is how to go about properly fixing the drip rail. The rail was cut off from the a pillar all the way to the c pillar. Should I just purge it with argon and weld it up and shave off the one on the passenger side? Should I have someone cut one from a donor car and weld it back on? I don't think I can properly fab up a new one that will fit and allow the chrome molding to snap back on. Any advice will be appreciated.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's going to be entirely up to you to decide. Personally I don't like it when people shave the drip rails off. If you decide to shave the pass side too, you still have to finish fixing the drivers side. Whereas if you just fix the drivers side, you're done, and the car will look normal again. If you were to shave both sides, even after welding them up, there's going to be a LOT of hammer/filler work to make it look perfect. Then, if you come up short on the hammer work, it's going to look like a crappy botched attempt at a shaving job.

I think the extra effort to find the donor metal would be worth it. shaved drip rails look dumb:blink: Plus if you only took a little of the roof with the drip rail when it is cut off the donor car it could probably be shipped in a tube pretty easily... lots more 510s here on the coast.

• 4 weeks later...

Is the drip rail metal actually spot welded on or caulked to the roof of the car? I want to fix it but id like to know alittle bit more info about this.

The drip rail is made of numerous layers of metal spot welded together. It is caulked to seal the roof metal to the lower pieces that form the drip rail its self.

The car is being parted out and the price would be negotiable, the catch is I can sawzall it from post to post if that would help you. I'm kinda sure it is the same length, but don't quote me on that and if it's to long you have extra :P It will be afew weeks before the car is completely gutted and that will be when I start to chop chop. I'll save it for you if u like :huh:

fuzz

There's a guy named Wayne in AU that makes them along with a few other odd peices. He ships to the US and the rates are pretty reasonable.

l_26042011127.jpg

If there is enough support he can re-make just about anything.

www.automotivepanelcraft.com