97 D21 KA24E trans?

I have a buddy with a 97 D21. His trans is shot and I gave him a spare trans from a 92 I had laying around. Anyway long story short. His truck is OBDII so it has a crank sensor in the trans bellhousing, obviously mine doesn't. I dont have the manual for this truck, but does anyone know if the truck will run with out the trans crank sensor?

Are they the same trans? Can I just swap bellhousings?

TIA

Brock

PS- He is going to swap an automatic w/ KA24DE into this thing then turbo it so eventually he will have standalone eng management.

He just wants to be able to drive it for now.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't a CAS but likely the speed sensor for the speedometer and ECU. If it's anything like the older speed sensors that were in the tailstock, it will run but have issues with the rev limiter. Swapping the tail stock should work.

As far as I know, there is no rev limiter on the trucks, it only controls speedo, should be fine. However, if the truck is an automatic, it may have some issue with shift points, might not run. Then again, I know you can use an automatic ECU in the 240s because it doesn't have a rev limiter/speed cutout. I'm pretty sure it won't matter on the trucks though. Think I overreved my '97 truck a few times during autocross, nothing happened. (Long time ago.)