Z Dash into a 510

I'm attempting to do this mod to my car, but it doesn't seem to work. The Z dash is about 3 inches too wide. I know someone on here or another 510 forum (yes I know this is not a 510 specific forum) has done this. Anyone have info on this? I spent the better part of a few hours yesterday searching everywhere I could think of to find some info. Let me know if anyone has done this. I will do a full write-up for others once I get started.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I fear I may have the wrong dash. My dash is from a 72 240Z (that's what the junk yard says). It has the Datsun 240Z plate on the glove box. Yours seems to be on the dash itself. I can see if it's worth trimming 3 inches out of, but I'm thinking it might be too wide. I'll check it out today and take some pics for reference. If I go this route, I'm thinking I'll get another 510 dash to cut up. My stock dash is in good shape and not worth cutting.

With the dash that I currently have, this will not work. sad.gif

The dash I have is from a 72 240Z. The Z dash measures approximately 53 inches, while the available space in the 510 is approximately 50 inches. The 72 Z dash that I have has the Datsun 240Z emblem on the glove box door. SSSr20det510 must be using a dash from another model Z to make this work. If anyone has any further info on this swap, please let me know.

With the dash that I currently have, this will not work. sad.gif

The dash I have is from a 72 240Z. The Z dash measures approximately 53 inches, while the available space in the 510 is approximately 50 inches. The 72 Z dash that I have has the Datsun 240Z emblem on the glove box door. SSSr20det510 must be using a dash from another model Z to make this work. If anyone has any further info on this swap, please let me know.

trim the sides of the Z Dash ... isn't that what sssr20det510 said he did ^^^ ?

Here you go:

240Z dash pad

DSC00829.jpg

Total 240Z dash width

DSC00830.jpg

240Z dash pad thickness

DSC00831.jpg

510 passenger compartment width

DSC00833.jpg

510 dash structure on top of 240Z dash. The 510 driver's side is flush with the 240Z pad outside.

DSC00834.jpg

The inside of the 240Z dash is still a little wide. I think that if I trim the foam, and then maybe just a little of the metal structure, it will fit. The Z dash seems to get wider as it gets closer to the firewall.

sssr20det510, can you take some pics of the sides of the dash for me for reference? I'm still hesitant to cut this thing up. It certainly isn't in the greatest shape, but it would be a shame to cut it up and ruin it.