5sp tilt

Hi,new to ratsun,but not datsuns :D Putting a napz trans in 80 720 w/L20b, bending the shifter and changing the trans. mt.(cause of the tilt) seems like the way to go for me. will this cause any harm(lubracation or?) to the trans in the long run or will it work just fine that way? Thanks for any help and this forum is awsome!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just the shifter that's out of whack. The transmission mount will also have an excessive angle, so you'll either have to build a wedge or your mounts (engine and transmission) will be fighting each other to failure trying to compensate for the difference. Best to get a L-series 5-speed or swap cases with a L-series 5-speed (curse, you'll need the L-series 5-speed to get the case from).

It's not just the shifter that's out of whack. The transmission mount will also have an excessive angle, so you'll either have to build a wedge or your mounts (engine and transmission) will be fighting each other to failure trying to compensate for the difference. Best to get a L-series 5-speed or swap cases with a L-series 5-speed (curse, you'll need the L-series 5-speed to get the case from).

Ya.... there is about 20 degree difference between the L and Z trannie (engine)

Also...would have to cut about 2 inches out from the side of the tunnel...for the shifter to clear.

Which I just did.... :blink: ....but I fixed, after I got the right trannie.... :D

That 80 has the 5 speed....?

but if i make a wedge for trans mt. ,it'll work fine?

Ya.... there is about 20 degree difference between the L and Z trannie (engine)

Also...would have to cut about 2 inches out from the side of the tunnel...for the shifter to clear.

Which I just did.... :blink: ....but I fixed, after I got the right trannie.... :D

That 80 has the 5 speed....?

No, its a four speed now,,trans is out of 86 720

but if i make a wedge for trans mt. ,it'll work fine?

It will work...but

Console...if you have 1 is now MIA.

Your pinion angle is now about 1.5 inches out of whack

Will have to lean the truck about 25 degrees to fill trannie to the proper level.

Edit

If you just wedge the trannie mount, the pinion angle (like I said) is out and should be corrected. Getting to the point where a vibration in the driveshaft is possible...I think max is 4 degrees????. So....you should pull the end of the trannie towards the drivers side...which now creates other issues. The MMs are now stressed and are pulling themselves out of stock position.

Edited by Sealik

just swap the Z bell for an L bell

Ya...that's what I would do.

But he would have to get the (5speed) L bells counter shaft bearing hole enlarged to 62mm...or replace the 62 mm bearing with the smaller L bearing.

Simple... :D

With both trannys out you need to remove both front cases and swap them. This will convert the '85 into a proper L series tilt. While the cases are off use a gear puller (rent) and remove both front counter shaft bearings and swap the 4 speed (smaller) onto the '85. Hammer on using a block of wood to protect it. Next, take a look at the three shift forks that poke out through the front case on the pass side. The top one (1st/2nd shift rod) may be larger than the other two. If so you will need to drill out the 14mm hole in the 4 speed case to 16mm or about 5/8ths. Be sure the rod can pass through the hole.

Here is a 4 speed front case. There are three finger size holes one above the other on the right side. The top one on the '85 will likely be 16mm and the others 14mm so thew case hole will need to be enlarged. The smaller of the two 'large' holes is for the counter shaft bearing.

F4W71Bbell.jpg

Here you can see the three shift rods, note the top one is larger. I expect the '85 will be also. The large bottom bearing is the ones that must be removed and swapped. The '85 uses a 62mm and the 4 speed a 56mm. You will need the 56mm in order to fit the 4 speed case on.

FS5W71CMainandcountershaftfrontbear.jpg

Last is to check the location of the reverse light switch. Four speeds are usually located about an inch behind the 5 speeds. If it is you can drill and tap a new hole just forward and move it. Plug the old one.

This looks daunting but isn't rocket science. Power drill by hand, the fork hole is already there just needs to be bigger. The reverse light switch hole is in soft aluminum case so easy to drill and tap. Gear puller and a hammer, snap ring pliers and a 12mm wrench or ratchet.

Here's a 5speed reverse light switch location just behind the clutch arm on the pass side. You can see just an inch behind it is a raised boss where the 4 speed reverse switch likely is on yours. You can remove it, or leave it in the case to fill the hole and drill and tap a new hole and put the '85 switch in it.

FS5W71Breverseswitchlocation.jpg

Here is a 4 speed case with the old switch location plugged and the switch now in the 5 speed location. I have been told that some 4 speeds are in the correct location so this may not be necessary.

relocatereverseswitchfor5spd.jpg

Here is a step by step for removing the front case. I've pulled them off trannys in a wrecking yard in 15min but you should take more time.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/FS5W71CMainandcountershaftfrontbear.jpg

Ya...that's what I would do.

But he would have to get the (5speed) L bells counter shaft bearing hole enlarged to 62mm...or replace the 62 mm bearing with the smaller L bearing.

Simple... :D

Id rather do it right.... cuz it really isnt that hard