ZX/Maxima strut oil amount.

datzenmike

Anyone have a Nissan FSM for either and can look up the front strut disassembly and tell me the quantity of strut oil added when rebuilding them.

I have a set of '84 Maxima struts which are the 'same' as the '79-'83 ZX struts. I need to know how much to add as it states the amount affects correct damping.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm the stock 710 are 325mm. Thanks for the reply Bill but more than that came out. The original Maxima ones had a soft spot when extending them like air was in them but this could be from storing them laying on their sides. The rebuild says to extend fully, invert them and press the strut rod back in to expel any air and fully fill the strut cylinder. I have tried about 350mm and there's a fat inch of air space. For now I'm leaving until I hear different.

Thank you so much for that. There are lots of struts shortened and no mention of what kind of fluid is put back in, it's viscosity or the amount. I settled on 300ml each so at least I'm not low. There was lots of room at the top, over an inch so I'm confident it will be fine. I'm using Bellray motorcycle front fork oil. The viscosity is 20W, I believe the Nissan oil is 5W so this should stiffen it. Motorcycle fork oil comes in various viscosity and is high in anti-foam additives. I researched and found that 30W is a NO NO. In cold weather it can be thick enough to blow out the valves. I don't plan to run in the winter ever anyway.

I've heard that hydraulic jack oil is basically the same thing and also comes in multi viscosities. (may not have the anti-foam additives). ATF is another, will have anti-foam and is quite thick.