Matchbox distributer questions

DanielC

I recently got a Matchbox distributer. From distributer information, I believe put together by Jason Gray, the distributer came from a 1980 200SX, with the NAPS-Z20E engine. I did not get the pedestal, or the timing adjusting plate. I have cut, and welded the timing adjusting plate off a spare L-16 distributer, and the distributer fits into the L-16 pedestal, with match box in front, away from the exhaust manifold. and Vacuum advance cannister in a good location,

I am putting the distributer on a 1970 Datsun 521, with L-16 engine. When I put the distributer on the engine, the rotor was pointed almost exactly mid way between two towers on the distributer cap. I pulled the oil pump, and advanced the oil pump drive two teeth to get the rotor pointing at a tower on the distributer cap, and called that one number one, and did my firing order from there.

Is it normal to have to adjust the oil pump drive to get the timing right?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup the L20B rotor points to a different spot for #1 than the L16/L18

'70-'73 L16 and very early L18s had #1 @ about 9:00 looking in from the drivers fender. '74 L18s were @ 10:00 and all L20Bs were @ 4:00. All had spindles at the 11:28 so yes there were differences.

You can set the spindle anywhere you want to make it work, why not.