Is it a good buy???

I called my local Nissan dealer after finding out I had non-replaceable u-joints on my 210 to see what they might have for me.

I discovered that they have a NOS driveshaft in stock with a $555 price tag on it. I offered the guy $100 since it was at least 20 years old (he said it was COVERED in cob webs.) and he counter offered $250. He said he couldn't go any lower because $250 is already below cost.

Most of the local driveshaft shops told me they wouldn't touch it. The only one that quoted me said about $200 give or take.

Is it worth $250 for a NOS driveshaft? I need it ASAP! The current u-joints feel like they're going to go any time now.

Edited by metalmonkey47
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NOS for sure. The shop could dummy it up and end up charging you more for their time, and you'd have nothing but a broken driveshaft. That's already a sign when they cut that much off for an NOS part. Spend a little more and don't have to worry about it again.

Save the old one, if you're going to do the L20b swap or whatever you decide on, chances are you'll have to modify it. Modify the old one rather than the fresh new one.

The trouble is you are in a hurry. So take it.

A standard is about $250 the auto is almost $300 so their price is truthful. Now that thing was likely ordered and never used 20 years ago and has likely been written off as there ain't a whole lot of need for one and less and less every day. If I wasn't in a hurry I'd offer him much much less and tell him that it's not likely anyone else will ever come by for it. They should be glad to get it off their hands for $150.

If you weren't in a hurry there is another alternative. Rockford drive line has replacement u-joints for the staked in drivelines.

See:

http://www.rockfordd...om/replacem.htm

Things to note-

Although they list the same part for the 1200, B210 and 210 I suspect that the part really fits only the 210 driveline, maybe the later year B210. I make this statement based on the drive lines in my garage...

It looks like there are at least 3 different styles over the years. The 1200 drive line with the standard replaceable U-joints, a driveline with standard U-joints but staked in, and the 210 driveline with staked in U-joints that has a narrower spacing between the ears (dimension "B" in the Rockford parts list) of the driveline and yoke. I think the Rockford U-joints fit the narrower spaced ears.

I'll check the spacing of the 210 driveline when I get home this evening and update.