510 Body work

jputz

Alright guys the body work has started on my 69 2 dr dime...

First question is where the hell are all the bolts located that hold the fenders on. I have removed 10 bolts from the pass front fender and I cant seem to get it off am I missing something? If someone could tell me where the bolts are and how many there are that would be greatly appreciated...

I will leave this thread open to add questions to. Any answers or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Josh

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an ez one, there is a rubber seal between the fender and body at the top. (where the 5 10mm bolts are) sometimes that seal glues the fender to the body. I have screwed up many glued fenders. Good luck, you did get the screws between the fender and apron.

Thanks kepper I was hoping that you would see this thread.

Yeah I got those that connect the fender to the apron. That rubber seal is probably whats holding me up. Is there any trick that you have learned to soften that seal up or do I just need to keep working it until it comes off?

Thanks or the suggestion.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Gonna take another look and make sure all the bolts are out, and try to heat it up SLOWLY and see if it will soften it up. Got a long prybar and all weekend to do this so hopefully I can get it loose.

Now question number two...

I stripped and sanded the hood and decklid last weekend. I know pics or it didnt happen, they will be up when I get a min to take some after ones. I got probably 90-95% of the surface russt off and then put down two coats of rattle can flat black. When I cleaned the pollen off the hood today I noticed that there is blue rings bleeding through the black where the surface rust was. Should I strip it back down and treat it with something or just throw a couple more coats of paint over it and hope that it doesnt bleed through 4 coats of paint!!!!

Alright painters theres the problem let me know what you think. I got the mechanics down its the body work thats new to me.

Thanks for the help.

Josh

The factory paint is the best, even if just sanded and coated flat black. The problem with taking a panel to bare metal is rattle can paint doesn't have any substantial rust inhibitor. Some say they do but, doesn't keep thing from rusting like an epoxy 2 component primer or self eching primer. Just sand the finish that is there and spray, if you want the car to be more uniform and smooth sand the car again with a finer grit paper and spray again. Good luck with it.